Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 2015 the only damage I ever had, besides normal chips and things from gravel etc. were damage that I assume was from a stray shopping cart (four small symmetrical spots in the drive side rear door), and when someone opened their driver door right into my front passenger door at an air pump at the gas station. Both incidents could have been prevented with protective moulding on the doors, yet, I can find no options to have it added by Kia. Has anyone had this done, and if so where you able to do it at a dealership or did you have to go aftermarket? I'm thinking of having splash guards put on and if I can knock it all out at once it would probably be more convenient.

·
Registered
114 Posts
"ooeemusic"

I am very pleased with this moulding I bought for my 2017 SX from Sportwing.com

https://www.sportwing.com/FE-SPORT17-Kia-Sportage-Painted-Body-Side-Molding?language=en¤cy=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1rmmq_Gv4gIVjshkCh3HIACuEAQYASABEgJXF_D_BwE

Pricy, but quality, and color matched to my "burnished copper" SX. :)
I put them on "my way" , not as shown on their website.
I put mine on the highest raised edge - lower on the door, also I put the rear edge of the front door molding piece flush with the rearmost edge of the door. So that the moulding will hit first if the door should open enough to hit a garage wall or another parked car.

PS: We bought the same brand moulding for my wife's Soul+ (in brilliant silver)

Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"ooeemusic"

I am very pleased with this moulding I bought for my 2017 SX from Sportwing.com

https://www.sportwing.com/FE-SPORT17-Kia-Sportage-Painted-Body-Side-Molding?language=en¤cy=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1rmmq_Gv4gIVjshkCh3HIACuEAQYASABEgJXF_D_BwE

Pricy, but quality, and color matched to my "burnished copper" SX. :)
I put them on "my way" , not as shown on their website.
I put mine on the highest raised edge - lower on the door, also I put the rear edge of the front door molding piece flush with the rearmost edge of the door. So that the moulding will hit first if the door should open enough to hit a garage wall or another parked car.

PS: We bought the same brand moulding for my wife's Soul+ (in brilliant silver)

Good luck
Cool! that's exactly what I'm looking for. Regarding your placement of them, I have seen some that are meant to be placed that low, my questions is, would that still protect from a normal sized shopping cart? Also, do you think a Kia dealer would install these if I was having something else put on? I'm not all that confident with self installation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I put my moulding at the further most sticking out raised part of the doors. I can't say if that height would be a perfect height for a shopping cart.

As far as installation goes I'm sure you could pay the KIA dealer or a body shop to install them.

I would encourage you to gain experience on a relative simple job like the moulding install.
The way I do it is: I put blue masking tape (above or below) along where I want the moulding installed:
Step back now, view the tape to be level, for straightness & a satisfactory position.
(You can reposition the tape until you are satisfied with its position....
Then install the new moulding parallel to the tape.

I use this same "masking tape" procedure to align body pin stripes also. Give it a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
ST Ken
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing