Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been reading up on the threads about the profitune boxes on here and then spoke to a mechanic friend of mine, he warned me off them slightly saying that what they do is send a false signal from the engine temperature sensor which makes the CPU think the engines still cold so adds extra fuel.

He says there have been problems with them sending too much fuel into the cylinders which remains unburnt and leaks down past the rings and into the sump watering the oil down.

So watch your oil levels if they're increasing try turning the dial down on the little box.

·
Registered
391 Posts
it wouldn't surprise me... which is why they only improve fuel consumption if you drive carefully.. I will check my oil etc - it is still fun to floor it occasionally and surprise the cars trying to out accelerate you up a hill.. ;)

but you have to give a little to get a little... speak to the millions of people with 5% quicker PC's after a little alterations

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It hasn't stopped me thinking about trying one. He just gave me a few caveats to be aware of so thought I'd mention it on here.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Pepper, your mechanic is thinking of the ones you get on ebay for a fiver, a 3p resistor to fool the fuel injection into operating cold start program!
These are bad, very bad, massive overfueling will occur.

The Diesel ones are a little different, they interupt the rail pressure signal, telling ecu different (lower pressure) so you are actually rasing fuel pressure, at 1300bar thats quite an achievement!!
So each duty cycle of the injector will squirt in a bit more fuel due to higher pressure, ok if used sesnibly.. if the pressure is to high, expect a hole in the psiton, or similar failure!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Murph, sounds about right and all the positive comments from the people who use them on here helps towards the decision too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts