Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I now have the invoice to hand.

5/40 C3 synthetic diesel oil £29.15 (last service £33.00)
Labour £121.26
Waste charge £2.99
Screenwash £0.95
Sump plug gasket £0.88
Oil filter £8.69

The emission control additive is on the workshop list of sundries but is not on the invoice.

Edit:- The car was washed and vacuumed out.
Wrong oil, in the UK it should be 5w/30 C3, suggest you check with your garage.

·
Premium Member
2010 Kia Ceed SW 3 CRDi, 2009 Kia Soul 2 CRDi
856 Posts
Wrong oil, in the UK it should be 5w/30 C3, suggest you check with your garage.
It really doesn't matter. There's a lot of overlap/flexibility in the oil spec and your environmental temperature. The dealer is only going to say the same and I would be extremely surprised if they entertained changing it.

I looked at both our last Kia service bills and it just states "Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 oil" but not if its the 5w30 or 5w40.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
I am convinced now that I have proved that there is a difference between some brands of diesel with my own car now too and until 14 months ago, I wouldn't have believed that there was enough difference (or any difference) between the fuels to notice either.
The problem is that so much of this is claim, anecdote and hearsay. When companies make fuel saving claims (doesn't matter whether a fuel company or tuning company) why do they never provide specific fuel consumption measurements from a dynamometer? For instance, if they proved that to produce 30bhp at 2k diesel or 3k for petrol (a typical cruising load), the SFE improves by x%, then there would be no argument. No need for going through EU test cycles or nonsense like that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It really doesn't matter. There's a lot of overlap/flexibility in the oil spec and your environmental temperature. The dealer is only going to say the same and I would be extremely surprised if they entertained changing it.

I looked at both our last Kia service bills and it just states "Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 oil" but not if its the 5w30 or 5w40.
It doesn't matter in the grand scheme, the engine will soon mince it down to 2.5w/20 just a bit slower than it would 5w/30 oil.:)

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts

It probably makes sod all difference in truth but what about your warranty. If the handbook says 5w/30 and you use 5w/40 then have engine problems what happens when (and if) the garage spot the incorrect viscosity oil has been used and then use this to reject the warranty claim. With modern emmision systems and especially DPF's oil spec can be critical.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
The problem is that so much of this is claim, anecdote and hearsay. When companies make fuel saving claims (doesn't matter whether a fuel company or tuning company) why do they never provide specific fuel consumption measurements from a dynamometer? For instance, if they proved that to produce 30bhp at 2k (or 3k for petrol), the SFE improves by x%, then there would be no argument. No need for going through EU test cycles or nonsense like that.
Completely agree.
But I've proved my Ceed starts to smoke with continued use of our local Tesco and Sainsbury fuel, yet doesn't if I use our local Shell (and sometimes BP). I would have normally always used the cheapest fuel, which is our local supermarkets. That was until my Ceed started chucking out grey smoke at only 7k miles. Now I've done 30k miles and have proved the smoking stops and doesn't return if I add Millers EcoMax to the supermarket fuel or use Shell. Yet it soon returns if I use untreaded supermarket fuel. Over this period I have rulled out the weather and temperature as a factor. I can only assume this might be down to the levels of detergents in the fuel different fuels.
Anyway, adding EcoMax costs only £1 per tank and then I fill up where I like (i.e. the cheapest) solves it the smoking, so I'm happy. The smoking just made my car look like a peice of junk. And too many on this forum have had repeated dealer visits and parts replaced to fix their smoking with no result. I'm nearly an hour away from our dealer, so I wasn't too keen to take mine in when I reported it first time. Then I read that others had tried adding EcoMax and it had solved it, so I tried as it was cheaper than spending half a day doing to and from the dealers and I was astonished to find it stopped the smoking almost immediately.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
I don't know whether your cars are young enough for DPFs. If so, it should be C4. Magnatic C3 is probably 5w40 which is what has been put in mine by a dealer.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Magnatec C3 is available as both 30 and 40.
And no, niether of my Kia's have DPFs. They came in on the Ceed on MY2011 (from memory).

·
Registered
Kia Ceed
281 Posts
I don't know whether your cars are young enough for DPFs. If so, it should be C4. Magnatic C3 is probably 5w40 which is what has been put in mine by a dealer.
The correct oil for a Ceed CRDi with a DPF is 5w/30 Fully Synthetic C3, that's exactly the car we have and that is the oil the handbook quotes and the dealer used.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
The correct oil for a Ceed CRDi with a DPF is 5w/30 Fully Synthetic C3, that's exactly the car we have and that is the oil the handbook quotes and the dealer used.
(Double check) You're right, C3 is it. I knew a non-dpf car could take a lower grade - which is B4.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If fuel additives, engine flushes etc were in any way beneficial Kia would brand their own and make it part of the service schedule and charge £50 or so for the privilage, they don't thus I have never and will never use them. Same as this urban myth about premium branded fuels being better, Kia simply say use BS EN590 diesel which all diesel sold in the UK, if they said only use Shell, BP etc then it would be a different matter and I would follow their guidance.

·
Registered
2010 Pro Ceed 1.6 CRDi
1 Posts
I'd like to thank D3Matt. I had terrible smoking cold start up problems on my 10 plate pro ceed 1.6crdi. Bought at 10K, Now on 30K. Within 5k of purchase, smoking like a chimney. Left with the dealer overnight. Verdict - acceptable levels of smoke. Lost the will to live arguing the bleeding obvious with main dealers.
90% of my mileage is at 70-75mph on motorways, 150 miles each way late at night when it's quiet.
I found this forum, used the Millers additive and within a couple of tank treatments the problem went.
Whenever the problem reoccurs, I use the Millers again, and it solves it again. I proved this about 4 times now - it can't be a coincidence.
I'm not one for buying snake oil and throwing my money away, but spending £11 on this has saved me loads of hassle with the dealer, courtesy cars etc etc. Ultimately, I know I would have part exed the car - so I would have lost a fortune. So thanks again D3Matt!

·
Registered
Kia Niro PHEV 2018
44 Posts
Same here. My pro_cee'd 1.6 crdi 2008 smoked on start and had rough running for at couple of seconds.
After using Millers it all cleared up - no problems anymore :)

And I tried with other additives before using Millers, like Tunap - but it did not work.

·
Registered
943 Posts
It probably makes sod all difference in truth but what about your warranty. If the handbook says 5w/30 and you use 5w/40 then have engine problems what happens when (and if) the garage spot the incorrect viscosity oil has been used and then use this to reject the warranty claim. With modern emmision systems and especially DPF's oil spec can be critical.
Its a safe bet that all the oil used when our cars are serviced comes from the dealers bulk tank. It will be a good quality oil used in all the cars serviced by them and if they are a multi franchise outfit several makes of car will be involved. I would take the spec on the invoice as suitable for a broad range of modern cars (if it is accurate).

·
Registered
kia ceed SW GT line MY 2018
138 Posts
Mine goes in tomorrow for it's first service to lookers in stockport. They have quoted £182 inc vat. Will let you know what they have fitted etc.

Chris

·
Registered
273 Posts
How do you know what oil is in your car?
I guess I don't know 100% but our Kia dealer (who I trust so far) has several bulk oil containers and uses the appropriate one depending on the Kia requirement. It says 5.3 litres of 5w/30 Shell Helix Ultra Extra Full Synthetic on the invoice @ £9.25/l which is what matters with regards to warranty on a DPF car. Better than the other dealer I tried, they insisted that using the wrong spec was perfectly OK (they used the same oil in every car they serviced regardless of engine or make), the oil was 1/2 the price, the service £20 more, wonder if Kia are aware or if they would be interested.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I do not trust anyone in the motor trade, they are only in it to make money. Call me cynical but it comes from a long lifetime of experience.
You cannot go through life trusting no-one, life's too short. People have to trust me. I reciprocate this by trusting others (but being alert) until I have reason not to.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
You cannot go through life trusting no-one, life's too short. People have to trust me. I reciprocate this by trusting others (but being alert) until I have reason not to.
But I'd have to agree, the motor trade are an exception!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts