Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 kia rondo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, this is my first post. I recently bought an '08 rondo. I have a few issues. one is the rocker panels. why would kia put plastic plugs in them? there is a couple missing so I am guessing the insides of my rockers are filled with salt and sand and will prob be rusted on thru by next week! thing spraying a think oil in them would stop the salt/sand/water mix from eating thru? I noticed on other cars that once there was a small hole ant that crap got in there it only took a year for the rocker to go.

next is the steering while under power. anyone notice that when you punch the gas the steering goes all wonky? it is a strange feeling. front end feels fine at all times except when hard on gas. is it that she is designed to pull on one wheel like a rear wheel drive? never had this prob with other front wheel drives tho.

next is check engine light. had it scanned, came up evap. tightened gas cap but came on still after a couple mins. hole in the line going to the evap set-up I wonder?

well, my main concern is the rockers not rusting out but help on all these issues would be a help. it is a good little car!

thanks

Jason

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
next is the steering while under power. anyone notice that when you punch the gas the steering goes all wonky? it is a strange feeling. front end feels fine at all times except when hard on gas. is it that she is designed to pull on one wheel like a rear wheel drive? never had this prob with other front wheel drives tho.
Sounds to me like you are describing torque steer, which is fairly normal behavior for FWD cars. RWD doesn't "pull" since it's driving a completely different set of wheels than the ones connected to the steering column. Possibly the other FWD vehicles you've driving just didn't have enough power to be able to feel the pull? Personally, I think the torque steer on the Rondo is fairly mild, compared to cars like the Mazdaspeed3 and the like.

Not sure what wonky steering is, but outside of what I described above with normal torque steer, have you checked tie rods, end links, and mounts for any play to make sure everything has a solid connection to the rack?

·
Registered
2008 kia rondo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, torque steer describes it perfectly. just never noticed it so bad in other cars. front end is perfect. I don't find the car all that powerful so I cant see it being extra power causing it. I had 3.8 liters that didn't have as much torque steer as the rondo. do you find it in yours? I mean when you got to gun it to get out in traffic or pass someone fast in a short passing lane for example? did you ever notice if the plugs were in your rocker panels?

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Do you have the V6 or the I4? On the 2008 v6, it had 182 lb-ft coming in at 4000rpm. My 2009 I4 has 169 lb-ft at 4000rpm, so it might not have quite as much torque steer as the V6. Suspension design can also be tweaked on cars to mitigate felt torque steer, so some cars are better at hiding it than others.

I'm not sure about the plugs on the rocker panels. Can you attach a picture of what you are seeing?

·
Registered
2008 kia rondo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
has 4 cyl. just had a major issue. went to pass someone and seemed to me trans didn't shift right. next thing I know car is off and I got a job to get it started. then once I do its got half power and I can hear a rattle/knock come fro it when revving it up. not good .

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
as for the rocker panels - first flush them with water, plenty of water on a hot day, if you get any... :D
clean, you might fill with oil or something and put the caps back, but leave some drain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts