Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Sorrento 2017 LX
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new or fairly new used Soul. Are there problems common to this model such as hesitating transmission or intermittent engine failures to be leery of?

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Sportage LX, 2015 Kia Soul EX, 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT, 2008 Kawasaki KLR650
148 Posts
Make sure the Knock sensor recall is done, and my wife's 2015 has a rattle in the dashboard that is too expensive to fix so we live with it

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
6 Posts
I'm looking to buy a new or fairly new used Soul. Are there problems common to this model such as hesitating transmission or intermittent engine failures to be leery of?
Second gen (2013-2019) GDI models can have engine issues if not maintained properly. Improper maintenance can lead to cylinder wear which can cause vaporized oil enter the air intake. The oil coats the top of the valves and carbon sticks to the oily valves, thus restricting air flow. The catalytic converter can get clogged with oil around 80K miles. The recommended oil (5W20) is too thin in warmer climates and can cause connecting rod bearing failure. On the plus side, the 6 speed transmission is better than the DCT transmission (third gen 2019-present)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts