Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2008 Ceed SR-7 and was looking forward to using my ipod with the Aux/USB connection in it.

Ive read just about every post on here regarding what i may or may not need to make it play right.

Ive bought a genuine Kia cable with the 3.5mm / USB molded connection on one end and the 30 pin ipod connector on the other and thought everything would be fine.

My problem has come when ive tried to plug the cable in, the port in my car is different to most of the other i can see? You can see from the picture ive attached of mine that the 3.5mm Aux port is lower down than the USB port instead of it being just that little bit higher. This means the cable simply wont push into the sockets??

Does anyone know why this would be? It all looks genuine but my only thought is that the part in the car is an after market fitment instead of the genuine part? Help ;(

These are a few images of other Aux/USB connections from Ceeds and you can see the difference from mine.

If i go see a local dealer does anyone think they would help and would it still be cover under the warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Housemsq.

Ive done some more digging today and found out that there are 2 types of Aux / USB port fitted to the Ceed. The port that me and you have are classed as the older type as the 3.5mm Aux port is lower than the USB port. At some point they changed this and most of the new Aux / USB ports have the 3.5mm Aux port higher than the USB port ;(

Sounds confusing but what that mean is that all of the Kia Cables which you can buy of ebay or amazon etc will only fit the newer higher style Aux / USB connections on the car. Gutted. Ive even been round to the kia dealership to test the genuine kia cable i have bought. And yes it fits into the newer cars perfectly fine!

I just need to find a kia cable which now fits these older style car Aux / USB ports? Im going to ring the main dealer to see if they know if there is an older style cable out there. Can you tell me Housemsq, do you have a kia cable with both the 3.5mm jack and USB connection on one end and the ipod 30 pin connector on the other end that works with your car at all??

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
1.4 Cee'd SR-7
49 Posts
Can you tell me Housemsq, do you have a kia cable with both the 3.5mm jack and USB connection on one end and the ipod 30 pin connector on the other end that works with your car at all??

Cheers ;)
I'm only using USB sticks. I haven't used the AUX once in 4 years owning this car :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok mate cheers, thought as much with the USB stick in the photo u supplied but thought i would still ask ;)

Think im going to give the main dealer a go about if they have any info on an older type cable and then give a 'Y' style cable a go off ebay - if i get no luck with that then im giving it up as a bad job ;(

Thanks again fella.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The electronics behind the dash is different too:
A: AUX + USB but NO iPod support (and NO iPod cable available): your version with low AUX connector
B: AUX + USB + iPod support: version with high AUX connector, iPod cable available

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Agreed with above, just get a good USB stick and load it to the gunnels with tuneage.
I tried the supplied ipod connector on my pro_ and didn't rate it's car controls or music access speed at all.
Controlled tracks on USB stick instantly, and played albums back with sub half-second gap between tracks.

Not sure if there's a size limit on your older USB sockets, but I had one of these & it's still doing a sterling job;
Sandisk Cruzer 4Gb = £4.29, 16Gb = £8.71 - and they're pretty small :)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Do the audio controls work OK with just the USB? i.e. Next Track, Change Folder etc. etc.?

We've only ever used the AUX and iPod nano. Thinking of going to USB if it will work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
USB port

I have one of these in 16 Gb; has 4 folders divided into different types of music. Classical when wife is in car and rock & roll (or loud & nasty) when I am alone.

Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive by SanDisk

My head unit will control an ipod through the port; I can also use Bluetooth to stream. Honestly it is just easier to plug in the USB; you have to use the head unit to pick the folder you want but after you are in a folder the steering wheel controls are good for controlling playback. I do use the Bluetooth to answer the phone though.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
My head unit will control an ipod through the port; I can also use Bluetooth to stream. Honestly it is just easier to plug in the USB; you have to use the head unit to pick the folder you want but after you are in a folder the steering wheel controls are good for controlling playback. I do use the Bluetooth to answer the phone though.
Thanks for your reply; I thought that it would be the case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Can someone please help? We purchased a Kia ceed last year, and have the following problem. I put a usb adapter unit for a sat nav. Unfortunately it is stuck in the socket, and cannot remove.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts