Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Kia-Forums,
I have a Kia Sportage 4-door 4-cyclinder 5-speed. The problem is that it has a prolonged starting process when its cold. If I drive enough to warm it up and the turn it off for like 30mins, itll start right up. On the other hand, if it sits for more than an hour itll take like 30sec-a minute to start. It acts like its trying to turn over but it wont.
What I've checked or had checked:
Battery
Starter

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
The ECT (engine coolant Temp) sensor signals the ECU on start up, if cold the ECU lengthens the Injector pulse (rich, like choke in old days).

Check the validity and correct operation of the ECT..... Philip

·
Registered
02 Sportage 4x4...66 Shelby GT350...70 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
196 Posts
As Aquanaut20 stated the ECT sensor would be a good starting point. Other items to check would be oil pressure switch, and the weight of oil that you are using.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Laxer 3021,

I have a similar problem, takes ages to start when cold I have to press the accelerator to help mine start.

I know this sounds daft but are you pressing the clutch in and have the gears in nuetral during starting?

First car I have had to this with but you need to do this during starting.

Would be interested in your reply.

Regards

longwkty

·
Registered
2000 Sportage EX 4x4 A/T, 2008 Harley Davidson Nightrain
184 Posts
If the engine is turning over but not starting, another thing to check would be your fuel pump and main relays. I had a similar issue that was caused by the relays, they go bad when they get old. I'd replace them as a diagnostic step if you haven't already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts