Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my Picanto, with which I'm very pleased so far, I have a bit of problem with shifting into reverse sometimes. Most of the time it is OK, but sometimes I can't shift it into revrse all the way, so I have to shift it into 5th or some other gear so I could shift it properly into revrse. And even sometimes I have to move just a bit forward to make the reverse shift. Is that kinda normal, or I sould go the service and let them know about it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
158 Posts
Originally posted by frishki@Jul 8 2005, 08:58 AM
Since I bought my Picanto, with which I'm very pleased so far, I have a bit of problem with shifting into reverse sometimes. Most of the time it is OK, but sometimes I can't shift it into revrse all the way, so I have to shift it into 5th or some other gear so I could shift it properly into revrse. And even sometimes I have to move just a bit forward to make the reverse shift. Is that kinda normal, or I sould go the service and let them know about it?

Thanks!
Mine do the same, and the Mazda Premazy 1.8i from 2000 do it to. My service firm, says it´ pretty normal.

ViCan2

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
Mine does it too, in reverse first and second, its starting to become dangerous now. I stalled at a junction and couldnt get out of the way, same thing when parking....

Took it to the dealer and they are sorting it out, "Baulking" is what it is called, not sure if thats how its spelt....

Hope this helps

Mike

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just hope, if they won't be able to fix it, that it won't happend more often. Thanks guys! :57:

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
Most cars have this problem. I have found a couple of ways of solving the problem.
(1) Move the gear lever to neutral, raise the clutch and then put the clutch in a go into Reverse.

(2) Move the neutral and pressing the brake with a bit of pressure normally sorts the problem.

(3) Move the lever to between 1st and 2nd and then back to Reverse.

Kevin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My driving school Picanto does it sometimes. It's normally caused when people try to select reverse whilst pressing the brake pedal. There is a 'baulking' gear in the gearbox which stops you from accidentally selecting reverse whilst going forwards.
I think the brake must cause the baulking gear to rise up by mistake. I've taught my pupils to use handbrake first, off the footbrake, then select reverse, no problems doing it that way! You CAN also, keep pressure on gearstick pulling it into reverse and VERY SLOWLY raise the clutch but do it with only tickover revs.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
I had the same problem, though mine became progressively worse, after some time experimenting with it, they eventually took the gearbox apart and unable to get the parts replaced the gearbox. Still does it a little but not very often now. I found pushing and releasing the clutch, then pushing and shifting also worked. Otherwise like key 2 driving said, slowly releasing the clutch also seems to work.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
The thing is that pica as well as some other cars have a protection system that disallows shifting to reverse while driving. And this system though very usefull can be a pain in the **** sometimes. If for example you are slowly rolling down the hill backwards you won't be able to put it in reverse unless you stop completely etc. It's quite possible that this mechanism hasn't been "worked through" enough or just isn't lubricated properly and as a result doesn't allow you to shift properly. So the solution might just be to wait a while and if things don't progress then go into the repair shop for the experts to have a look at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts