Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys this is my other car, Lexus 430ls. Pictures are of engine bay,just taken,i need your opinion how could this happen on a car with little over 100 000 kms on the clock. I understand this isn't toyota forum,just need your opinions. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
Good pictures, bad engine.
Oil has turned to sludge. What is the history of oil changes? Type of oil & frequency?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good pictures, bad engine.
Oil has turned to sludge. What is the history of oil changes? Type of oil & frequency?
Or maybe over-heated, badly.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was serviced in Toyota since new,only using their oil,filters. Always on time,by the book. Car is driven daily,short distances,many cold starts. This is what they tell me caused all that gunk to build up,i have a problem accepting their story. It never overheated.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have heard that oil-change intervals recommended by Toyota (Lexus) can be as long as 10,000 miles. That's a bit long.

·
Super Moderator
4,422 Posts
It was serviced in Toyota since new,only using their oil,filters. Always on time,by the book. Car is driven daily,short distances,many cold starts. This is what they tell me caused all that gunk to build up,i have a problem accepting their story. It never overheated.
How many miles between oil changes? Any (other people) driving your Lexus??

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
I had a 1974 Plymouth Duster with a 225cu inch slant 6.
I only ran "Quaker State Super Blend" Changed Oil and filter every 3k miles. I pulled the valve cover at 80k miles and you couldn't find the rocker arms for the sludge.
The oil was Pennsylvania crude and was what was called paraffin based.
I have since only run Valvoline Synthetic. The difference....unbelievable on tear down..A slight film of light brown varnish that wipes off...

I wonder how many other Lexus they see with your "problem"?
Dave

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They claim they never saw anything this bad. They want to tear the engine apart and send it to another co for chemical cleaning. Big big money. Oil change every 10 000 kms.

·
Registered
692 Posts
They claim they never saw anything this bad. They want to tear the engine apart and send it to another co for chemical cleaning. Big big money. Oil change every 10 000 kms.
Have you investigated a new engine? Maybe a bit rare.

I've seen sludging in my Dad's car after a period when it was only used for short trips. He changed the oil every 1500 km.

I tend to change the oil every 10,000 km or 6 months whichever comes first, while the car is under warranty. Usually I've only covered 5,000 to 7,000 km. Our Cerato will have done 13,000 km by its first service, but much of this has been easy highway work.

Once out of warranty, I change every 10,000 km or 12 months, whichever comes first. Hardly any short trips, mostly 10+ km or easy highway.

I use a name-brand oil of recommended viscosity. e.g Castrol 10W-30 (Mineral). or Edge 5W-30 (Syn). Never seen sludging except as mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
Castrol "IS" a very good oil and I would use Valvoline or Castrol as needed.

I think 10kms (6kmiles) is still too long for a car that is used for very short trips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts