Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So today my navigation screen stopped working. The radio still plays and I can use my steering wheel controls to change the station etc. but the screen is completely black and flickers occasionally. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Also, turned the car off and back on. Turned the whole screen off and back on. Turned the car off and left it off for awhile and still nothing when I turned it back on.

2009 optima. Less than 40,000 miles. I'm at a loss

Thanks.

·
Registered
07 Optima 2.4L
109 Posts
Nav Screen Gone Black

Do you have access to the original OEM manuals for the Nav? On my 3-year-old aftermarket system that I installed myself, the usually-reliable touch screen suddenly went dead to the touch, but since it had a tiny reset button in front, I was able to follow instructions in the manual to quickly restore the defaults and recover the original settings. The KIA factory audio warranty is usually only one year, but it might take very little time for someone to easily check it out for you or quickly troubleshoot the problem. Since it still flickers, it could be just something very simple within the wiring or ground or even loose connectors in the back. Someone here might have some good suggestions and ideas, as well. If not, see what an estimate might be from an expert audio shop.

If it does eventually prove too expensive to repair or replace the factory unit, you might consider installing the latest, brand-new $500 imported 3G Android or Windows internet-capable 7 inch 2-DIN system, which should fit easily into your dash opening and hook right up to your existing wiring connectors, giving you GPS, DVD, radio, MP3, SD card, internet, backup camera, steering wheel control, bluetooth capability, and even digital HDTV, all built-in. That would be my next unit. Good luck, and let us know.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
If the screen flickers occasionally, but everything else still works, it sounds like the head unit is bad. If it was a wiring issue (power supply/ground problem) everything would quit.

Good news though. Kia reman navigation units are cheap. Check this link Kia Parts Online . Replacement nav unit:$66. Core:$1800 :eek: .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to take so long to update you guys on the problem, but it only got fixed about a month ago. One day my car wouldn't start and when my grandfather looked at it the ground wire on the battery had snapped. It turns out someone at some point had tightened too tight and over time it just started breaking or something to that effect (I'm not mechanical in the least). Anyways, when he replaced it my navigation system and radio worked perfectly again. Crazy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts