Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I am having problems with my Kia Spectra.

1) When on Idle, the rpm tends to fluctuate up and down. This happens very often sometimes when the car is cold and sometimes even when it is warm. When put on 'N' this also happens. Have sent to many mechanics and each time after a few thousand Kilometers, it will happen again.

2) When raining and there are puddles of water, if I speed through, the whole car will vibrate. Checked with the service men and was told this is a design defect.

3) A cranking sound sometimes when I start my car. Was told it was the flywheel problem. Have changed it and problem was rectified at first. Now, sometimes I still get the cranking sound.

Any of you have this problems?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idling problem, having this but i will be sending to the mechanic today,hope would be able to help you after that.
Vibrate when drive through the water, i think is the tyre not the design of the car,mine dont have this problem.

hope this will help

Originally posted by shenmf@Sep 17 2004, 05:56 PM
Hi!

1) When on Idle, the rpm tends to fluctuate up and down. This happens very often sometimes when the car is cold and sometimes even when it is warm. When put on 'N' this also happens. Have sent to many mechanics and each time after a few thousand Kilometers, it will happen again.

2) When raining and there are puddles of water, if I speed through, the whole car will vibrate. Checked with the service men and was told this is a design defect.

3) A cranking sound sometimes when I start my car. Was told it was the flywheel problem. Have changed it and problem was rectified at first. Now, sometimes I still get the cranking sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi shenmf,

yea, i know what you mean. i have the same problem too when going thru' puddle of water and whole car vibrate. it felt the car shaking from underneath. you can feel the shake especially around the region near the gear shifter/center arm rest.

i never had it check but anyway all i can say is it only happens when it rains heavily or going thru' big puddle of water.

i have another problem too recently, i can hear faint thumping or rather like muted clanking sound coming from the rear of the car. i had it checked a few times but never managed to isolate the sound. some mechanics say it could be the new tires that i changed that caused the sound - i don't know if that could be possible. anyway i've changed to 195/60/15 tired instead of 195/55/15 tires cause i felt the original were abit too harsh of a ride. any idea what could have caused this? or anyone has something similar?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear dericwan,

Yes, it vibrates near the centre. Was told that it was a design defect and all Kia Spectra will have that problem and it has not been rectified since as far as I know. Not sure about the new spectra though. You might want to check with KIA if they have resolved this issue.

Anyway, heavy maintenance was due, ie. Change of timing belt and flushing of AT fluid, have sold the car. The problem of cranking during ignition still persists and was tired of all the problems.

As for your tyres, I have also changed to 195/60. No such noise. Feels better on road. The original tyres from Sime (195/55) started to get noisy after maybe 7 to 8 months anyway. Not to sure about the noise you encounter though.

Regards.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
kinda frustrating with the vibration but anyway it hasn't happened for a long time. hence, i wasn't bothered too much.

took my car to the mechanic over the weekend (nott KIA). finally got the noise problem coming from the rear solved. turned out to be a wearing out wheel bearing. changed that the noise is gone. at least i'm happy for now, don't think i'll change it for now just for a few problem...touch wood :) guess you can expect too much from a KIA anyway....

·
Registered
1 Posts
About the fluctuating rpm, dirty (dirt, gum & varnish) throttle body is the culprit. Try http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp it may give you some insight.

Originally posted by shenmf@Sep 17 2004, 05:56 PM
Hi!

·
Registered
30 Posts
High Guys,

I guess the vibration problem is due to the exposed C.C(catalytic converter). Try to see its location. Every Carens owner had this. Usually the C.C s located after the exhaust manifold somewhere behind the radiator.CArens is underneath the gear box. Therefore whenever I drive over apool of water, the water splashes onto the C.C and this will cause a sudden change of temperature, thus vibrating the whole exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by dericwan@Oct 4 2004, 09:37 AM
kinda frustrating with the vibration but anyway it hasn't happened for a long time. hence, i wasn't bothered too much.

took my car to the mechanic over the weekend (nott KIA). finally got the noise problem coming from the rear solved. turned out to be a wearing out wheel bearing. changed that the noise is gone. at least i'm happy for now, don't think i'll change it for now just for a few problem...touch wood :) guess you can expect too much from a KIA anyway....
Hi Dericwan... i too have the same sound coming from the rear.. my mechanic also suggested that it is the rear wheel bearing. Just for my info, how much does it cost u to change it? donwan to get slaughtered there..

Pls advise.. if not convenient to tell the price here then just PM me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi..

Zenius... Thanks for the explanation. Finally I get someone who can give me a logical answer. All I get from KIA mechanics is design defects. Can't do anything about it they say. By the way, how do you solve the problem then?

Any idea if this problem has been rectified for the new KIA Spectra's and Carens.

Anyway, fed up with the problems already. I have sold my car.

Oh, does anyone knows if X1R is good for your engine and petrol?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just so you are aware and don't mean to insult you if you already know this but your changing the circumferance of your tires and that is a big no no as it will afffect an automatic transmission by the gear change timing. Your car will actually be a little faster because your tires are spinning faster now and therefore your speedometer will be reading slower than you are actually going. Also if you have abs brakes on your car it can mess with the abs sensors. So please check with your mechanic if this size change is within specs. I have tried on many cars to change rim size and tire specs and all of them say as long as the tire circumferance is the same you can change some tire options. A costly option to allow tire circumferance changes is to reprogram the car computer with the new settings but this can be pricey.
If you still don't know what I mean....check out this link for tire size calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I hope this helps!
Spyderpost

Originally posted by dericwan@Oct 1 2004, 12:38 PM
hi shenmf,

yea, i know what you mean. i have the same problem too when going thru' puddle of water and whole car vibrate. it felt the car shaking from underneath. you can feel the shake especially around the region near the gear shifter/center arm rest.

i never had it check but anyway all i can say is it only happens when it rains heavily or going thru' big puddle of water.

i have another problem too recently, i can hear faint thumping or rather like muted clanking sound coming from the rear of the car. i had it checked a few times but never managed to isolate the sound. some mechanics say it could be the new tires that i changed that caused the sound - i don't know if that could be possible. anyway i've changed to 195/60/15 tired instead of 195/55/15 tires cause i felt the original were abit too harsh of a ride. any idea what could have caused this? or anyone has something similar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 3 month old Spectra LS (purchased in mid-August, 04). From the beginning, the power steering felt heavier than normal, ie. compared to other cars. Anyone ever felt the same about their Spectra?
Also, the power window motors emit excessive sound when engaged (noisy). I would just like like some feedback from other Spectra owners as to whether they have experienced the same.
Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts