Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2012 Kia Forte EX that I purchased this past Spring. The car itself is fine but I've had numerous issues with the tires. Some of these issues are obviously caused by my actions, like apparently twice I've driven over nails. I had my front right tire puncture repaired, then my rear left tire had a puncture so bad I had to purchase a new tire.

However even with those, I've noticed my tire pressure light seems to come on quite often. The light that looks similar to ( ! )

At least once every 2 weeks. Is that normal? Discounting the two puncture incidents I've had to inflate tires that have had no such puncture. I did some research on tire pressure and found that, if I remember the numbers correctly, that standard pressure on a Forte EX is suppsed to be ...

220 kPa and 32 Psi

So, yesterday I went to the local walmart, bought a tire pressure gague and found the following readings....

Front left 220 / 32 (seems normal)
Front right 200 / 29 (seems slightly low but should be ok???)

Rear left 180 /26 (seems abit low)
Rear right 170 /24.5 (seems low)

So, at a gas station I used my last bit of loose change to fill up the two back tires. The rear right one first. After filling it, I think I read the reading as 200/32 or something like that. But the tire pressure light was still on. So I filled up the rear left one. After the first reading, the pressure seemed to be around 220/32 something but, in just a few seconds I got another reading of like 180/25 or something. So I was thinking, that can't be right, must be a glitch in gague, I am a novice in this area but I would think even if there was a puncture open it wouldn't drop from being filled with air (I waited the entire time the air pump was filling the tire) to down to 180 something that fast.
Anyhow, when I got in the car, the tire pressure warning was gone, and for the rest of yesterday evening while driving it was gone, which seemed to confirm my suspicion it was a glitch with the gague. However this morning, wouldn't you know it, the light is back on. At first glance none of my tires "apprear" to be going flat. I am thinking of taking the car in to a shop and having them look at all the tires and fill them up.

Any thoughts on the scenario I wrote above?
If you fill up to, lets say normal which is 220 / 32 then how long usually under normal circumstances does it take for pressure to dip low enough to cause the tire pressure light to go off?
What reading does it have to dip below for this warning light to go off?
Also, one thing I worry about whenever I get air is over-filling the tire? Is there a guideline on how to prevent that? How much air can the usual tire take before it cause problems overfilling it?
Also, a silly question but I would assume the amount of air lost from just opening the cap for a few seconds to place a guage on it or air pump or whatever would be negilible correct?

Being a newbie to the forums, is this the correct location, the Forte forum, or should I have posted this to the tires forum. I would have posted it twice but didn't know if there are forum restrictions on duplicate posts and this forum seemed the more active of the two which is why I posted it here.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento I4 FWD 6Spd, 2005 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6Spd
118 Posts
If you inflated the tires hot, they will under inflated when cold.

Always check pressures and add air only when they are stone cold.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
It seems like you still have leaks.

The light will come on at 20% below door psi, about 26psi on your car. If the light comes on, the tire must be inflated to at least door psi(32) to reset the light. Tires must be inflated cold, as the air pressure in the tire rises as the tires heat up from driving(friction, road heat, etc).

A for overfilling the tire, the max psi for the tire is printed on the sidewall of the tire, 44psi I believe. I would not advise running this pressure. It will cause the tires to prematurely wear out in the center and the ride will be horrible.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You certainly sound like a novice; checking the tyre pressures should be a simple job.

Usual pressure for your car would be 32 PSI. Many would advise that you set them to 36 PSI (cold). Hot tyres would then be about 38 PSI, well within specifications.

Removing the dust cap should cause no loss of pressure.

Note that gauges at servos are often damaged and inaccurate; some will give different readings after deliving a small amount of air (i.e. different to testing before adding air - backlash effect). Get your own gauge.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
Hi
To know the rocking news in every field visit to this site….
Every news to every field is available in this site………….’
It is the one of the best site that give you every news for india and other… so visit this site and get latest news……….. thank you
this has nothing to do with this thread, go peddle your wares somewhere else, moderator get this guy off this site :eek:fftopic: he's posting the same thing on other threads.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It has been my experience with most tire pressure monitors that if there is a 5psi difference from lowest to highest tire, the lught will come on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts