Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
02 Sportage, 95 Trans Am, 05 Crossfire, 04 Venture
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Sportage

About 3 years ago I went to start my Sportage and the idle wouldn't drop less than 1,200RPM. I tapped the accelerator and the idle stuck at an even higher RPM. I accelerated in idle again and the RPMs began climbing and climbing all on its own until finally I had to shut it off. It still does this.

The IAC was making strange noises with the engine off and ignition on so I'd replaced it. I tested the TPS voltage and it checkout out okay. I adjusted the throttle and throttle cable exactly as shown in the service manual. The throttle cable is not sticking. I've also cleaned the MAF.

Its been driven maybe 5 times in 4 years because it's constantly having issues. I don't know if the RPMs drop in gear because I am just finishing up replacing a brake line. Any idea what other sensors could possibly cause the idle to climb on its own like this?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,060 Posts
Elevated idle RPM's potential causes is the IAC or intake manifold vacuum leaks - have you checked for leaks?

What engine? - please add your Sportage model to your profile.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2002 Sportage
2.0L DOHC I4 Gas
Auto Trans

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did replace both the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets before. Good idea. I'll check that out.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
+1 w/ Ron - IAC valve, or illegal air are what I'd be checking, if here.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elevated idle RPM's potential causes is the IAC or intake manifold vacuum leaks - have you checked for leaks?

What engine? - please add your Sportage model to your profile.
I can't seem to locate the option to edit my profile on a mobile device.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a small vacuum leak which I fixed. The idle hasn't increased on its own but it idles around 1200RPM. What's the idle RPM supposed to be? My other vehicles are 650 - 750ish.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,060 Posts
Have you checked the function of the IAC?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
^^ and IAC gasket, even a pinhole leak will cause high idle. ( IIRC on one of the Sporty's here, I used a thin film coat of Water Pump Gasket ( thin grey ) RTV on the IAC gasket and mating surfaces to seal it up / fix that issue. )

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the IAC 3 or 4 years ago. But it was from a junkyard so... But I did clean it out at that time. I'll pull it off and check it out. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found that the IAC housing was cracked which caused a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to lay off the DeWalt 20v 1/4" impact once in awhile. 😀

1 - 13 of 13 Posts