Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a diesel Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDI GS end of July last year and since then the battery has been run flat at least 4 times. Each time the car has been left standing for a few days. no lights or other electrics left on. i took it into the dealer who could not find a drain on the battery. there were some problems with the radio freezing and we took the fuse in and out again. the radio then worked fine and there was no more probs with battery for several weeks. then the battery was flat one morning (nothing left on). the dealer has had it for 2 weeks and cannot find the fault... Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
The only clue so far is possible involvement of the radio. You could try leaving the fuse out to isolate the radio which might have an intermittent fault. Another approach would be a new battery, or try disconnecting your battery at night as an "idiot check". A car should be able to stand for about a month and still start normally. More than that it becomes problematic.

To run flat overnight, the drain would need to be at least 1 Amp, and you might be able to feel if some component is getting hot. It also should be easy to spot this with an ammeter applied in-line, say at the fuse box. Sounds like the dealer has tried this.

·
Registered
2010 Pro Ceed CRD-i 1.6
84 Posts
The cold weather will always highlight a faulty battery,if you can it would be good to swap batteries with another car

·
Registered
2010 Pro Ceed CRD-i 1.6
84 Posts
Time for a new battery me thinks. they don't last for ever.
Very true in 5 years I twice replaced the heavy duty battery in my camper van as I would leave it standing unused for months at a time and small motorcycle batteries last less than a year if neglected:eek:

·
Registered
Many, KIa Ceed 1.6 crdi auto at the moment
103 Posts
One of the known problems of batteries going flat is the boot light switch, they are sometimes open when you think the boot is closed, so take the bulb out of the boot light and see what happens.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd 2 Ecodynamics
27 Posts
I used to have a Fiat Punto that would very occasionally have a flat battery in the morning. Turned out to be a faulty fuel pump relay, but Fiat wouldn't do anything about it as it it behaved itself when they had the car to look at. Learnt to live with it by listening carefully when I got out of the car - if I could hear a sound vaguely like someone hoovering in the distance :) I'd flick the ignition on and off again and the relay would stop the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery running Flat after a few days

I've had the same problem. My new Kia C"eed was only 2 months old and I had two times a flat battery. In the garage they could'nt find an unusual error. The battery seems to be OK and there was no leak in the electricity circuit. So wat do I have to do? Waiting till the battery go flat again. It seems that there is an leaking circuit that the computer couldn't registrate I'll think.

·
Registered
KIA Cee'd 1.6CRDI Premium
15 Posts
Hi

This is a known issue, with the battery drainage. I'd had my car at the dealer, and together with some other similar Ceed's we found out, if i park the car with the light switch set to "off" and not "AUTO" then it would drain my battery.

It is now a known error that should be fixed by KIA.
After i found out that i should park with the switch on AUTO, my ISG have worked everytime i used my car since.
Car:
Ceed 5d, LED DLR and no Xenon

·
Registered
1 Posts
This morning the same thing happened to me - the car wouldn't start and the battery turned out to be empty. The car is three months old, so it's pretty weird. It was in the garage where the temperature was a little bit above zero.

Question related to that - is it ok to leave the lights on even after leaving the car? As far as I have seen, the lights are automatically turned off, even if they're left on (I don't have auto lights btw).

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
i bought a diesel Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDI GS end of July last year and since then the battery has been run flat at least 4 times. Each time the car has been left standing for a few days. no lights or other electrics left on. i took it into the dealer who could not find a drain on the battery. there were some problems with the radio freezing and we took the fuse in and out again. the radio then worked fine and there was no more probs with battery for several weeks. then the battery was flat one morning (nothing left on). the dealer has had it for 2 weeks and cannot find the fault... Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!
My new proceed has 1300 miles on the clock, Very happy with my now second proceed, apart from having to return it to the Kia agent as it has lost its battery charge now five times, and for no apparent reason. Each time Kia have tried to find this fault and have replaced the battery during one of these searches.
I cannot fault the Kia agencies efforts, but the 200+ miles I have to take to deliver the car for inspection and return are rather wearing, not much helped due to being past eighty two years of age. Kia have helped with the fuel costs, I am most grateful to report, ignoring that the mileage is down to me living 110 miles away from the agency, out in the sticks, on the west coast of Scotland. This agency is my nearest, by the way.
I appreciate faults of this nature are often hard to find and modern designs continue to increase these difficulties as car designers seek to find more and more attractive systems to add. One hears that plugging a car into a computer will rapidly establish an answer to any such problem, but it seems this is not quite the case.
I have the horrible feeling that once again the car will behave perfectly whilst being examined and am equally assured when it is returned, its battery will flatten again. My spare battery and jump leads will again be called into action and also my newly purchased digital multimeter and a pair of pliers to remove fuses will be put to work. Hopefully to establish some sort of answer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 Ceed 4 tech Auto DCT Battery fault

Bought new ceed 4tech DCT Oct 2012 by Feb 2013 battery failed/flat Kia assist restarted car & suggested it checked by dealer all checked out fine. This happened again a few weeks later & was recovered into dealer who replaced battery. The same fault occurred five times in total & battery replaced three times Kia technical were unable to rectify/find cause of drain. Eventually car was replaced in Sept.2013 for same model, within seven weeks & less than 500miles same fault as last car battery flat, recovered into dealer who passed it to Kia technical as unable to rectify fault. Kia unable to suggest a solution & their answer was to return our deposit & have the car back, the dealer was unhappy with this solution & suggested an alternative model, this was accepted but due to the lack of help from Kia to swiftly conclude the matter we have opted for the refund & taken our custom to another manufacturer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts