Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
My 2004 Kia rio is a manual transmission. Last Sunday I left my lights for two hours and had to jump the car. Since then I've had an issue with the car starting. Once the car starts it runs fine but once I turn it off I need to give it at least ten minutes or the engine will won't turn over. My boyfriend is an amature machanic but he thinks its the starter going. Does anyone have any other ideas. I just want my "plucky" to be fixed.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Is the battery original? time for a new one if it is. Old batteries dont like to be discharged to 0 volts dc it's a chemical thing and age. is it slow cranking? Check the battery terminals for corrosion or looseness. If it is slow cranking maybe time for a new battery. If a jump started it there is nothing wrong with the starter good luck with it. Reguard's ronjohn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would agree with the battery except, I bought the battery only 2 years ago and we did a test with my boyfriend's volt meter. After the car sat overnight on a cold night, the battery off was between 11 and 12 volts and when it started it read close to 15 volts. Could it be anything other than the battery?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
A good battery will read about 12.5 volts dc sitting there overnight anything under 12 vdc isn't good say 11.5vdc it may start your car or be real slow cranking or the starter will just make a clicking noise or nothing. The 14.5vdc when running indicates the alternator is working and that's what runs your car while driving the battery's sole purpose is to start the car and keep the computer memory when it's not running. Still my best guess is the battery or a connection issue. Did it turn over good when you jumped it or was it slow also? Batteries can fail at any time. Good luck with it, Reguard's Ronjohn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts