Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Kia Optima with the V6 engine. The car is great but a problem has come up in the last few months.

The car starts fine ANY other time but after I fill up at the gas station the car does not want to start. Immediately after fueling the car turns over fine but just doesn't want to pop and start. When it does finally start I have to keep the gas on and keep revving the car at high RPMs or the car will die. To get the car to move I have to keep one foot on the brake and rev the engine with the other as I put the car into gear and quickly let the brake off. Once the car is moving I have no problems -- I can turn the car off a minute later and the car will start with no problems.

It cranks fine so I assume the starter and battery are not the problem. I have a new air filter and have recently had the fuel injectors cleaned. My guess is the fuel filter or the fuel pump but am looking for verification or other possibilities before I get my hands dirty.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do U smell gasoline or is the smoke 'thick' when u start the car after refilling?
Normally I do not smell gasoline when the car is starting after refilling but the car does start with similar symptoms of the car being flooded -- doesn't pop over easy, etc. Since I am in the car and really only concerned with getting it started I have not noticed if there is thick smoke when the car starts. I will pay attention to the exhaust the next time I fill up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hopefully someone more knowledgable can chime in here, but....

When I bought my '04, the dealer specifically warned me about "topping off" the gas. They said if you over fill the gas tank it messes with the emissions cannister.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope when You sit to the car after refilling You don't press the accelerator and THEN ignite?

With my previous cars I've had issues like this:

My civic had clogged ventilation in gas-tank so it would get vacuum and not let the fuel pump to work correctly (explanation by my not-so-friendly-mechanic).

Try to run the gas down to 1/4 of a tank and then refill - what happens?

Sometimes the pump/filter gets stuff from the bottom of the tank and You think it's the new gas that's bad but actually it's the old dirt...

BR,

rws

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I filled up with the tank at about 1/4 so I wasn't pulling in any sludge. When the car started there was no smoke or smell of gasoline but the car was just as hard to get going. I bought an extended warranty since the Kia I bought was used. I'll have to call in to see if this diagnostic and fix is covered. Thanks for all the help and anything else you can think of:).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts