Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am from Cape Town, sunny South Africa!
I am new to this forum. I hope I can learn from
your experience and contribute in the future to the forum.
Sportage 1st Gen ~2002 refers - Manual / DOHC
All service up to date, replace Timing belt ~100k
odo ~130k

Problem -
Whilst driving the engine will 'briefly loose fire', it does not backfire.
My experience of the symptom is that the engine 'hiccups' very briefly, occasionaly. The engine does not 'stall' such that I have to restart the engine. It is more observable whilst driving the car under 'no load', eg cruising at ~80kmh. When I accelerate or decelerate, I can't say that I observe the symptom. The engine idles ok, no 'missing'. The symptom is irratic of nature, meaning I can't vouch that it will manifestate every 5km, however, it seems that I observe the symptom more frequently nowdays.

I don't want to haphazardly, shotgun approach, and at high cost, replace all known sensors, Cam/Phase sensors, MAF etc. I would have liked a more analytical approach, if possible?

I have replace the Main/Eng/Start two relays, no effect.

Looking at the engine, on the front left, half/shielded by the sparkplug cover,
a unit with vacuum pipes, one leading from the engine, looks like
some vacuum pipes attached to a relay/soleniod/sensor. Don't
know what this is. Fuel Regutor or what?

I have a feeling that I am not the only person that may have had this
problem, hopefully!! And that there is a known solution?

btw, I am interested in investing in an Engine code scannner /analyzer,
can anyone recommend a reasonable brand/model suitable for this vehicele?

Thank you for your feedback re this matter, I am hoping
to find a solution to this.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Gerhard Laubscher
Cape Town, South Africa
082 366 1950

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
First lets address the Scanner issue, depending on the market your vehicle was manufactured for may or not deem it an OBDII vehicle. There may be a plate or sticker under the hood/bonnet that may specify the protocol....

The device you describe may be the EGR system, it provides waste gasses (during cruise)into the intake to cool the exhaust valves. Most indicators of failure are rough idle,and CEL (low flow)...

When was the last time the sparks were pulled and cleaned/adjusted or replaced??

With regards the hic-up, I would first verify the fuel pressure system..... Philip

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,678 Posts
Welkom boet.

These waste spark arrangements are very sensitive to plug type and gap - I'd check/replace the plugs with the stock NGK's (no not church plugs) and gap them to 0.75mm
Some documentation suggests a plug gap of 1mm, but rather go with the 0.75mm

If that doesn't resolve it, then it may be time for new plug wires, and possible coils - these coils and HT leads are in a very high heat zone, so they get punished.

Ballas van die beeste.

BTW, it's not a good idea to post your personal details on a public forum like this.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dankie Ron&Aqua.... :)
Re the scanner, surely there is a OBD2 commercial scanner available
for this vehicle - 2002 Kia Sportage?

Last full service - ~120k This hiccup problem was present before the last
service and is still present. According to the service wha manual the car requires
a full service incl plugs&lube every 15k, thus another ~5k to next service.

I am going to take a pic or two of the engine. As you all know, there are quite a few plugs/sensors etc. I am going to number each device (sensors etc), fill in what I have identified, maybe the forum-user can then add-on identifying the sensors etc. Else,
maybe more clear pics or info of where the sensors are located and its full names instead of acronyms. btw, Aqua, what is EGR system, acronym?, sorry for the rather novice questions... ? I think you have identified the item I am querying about correctly though.

Alles van die beste, ou BeesBlaas! :)
Gert

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,678 Posts
Dankie Ron&Aqua.... :)
Re the scanner, surely there is a OBD2 commercial scanner available
for this vehicle - 2002 Kia Sportage?
Not sure what you'll find in the SA version.
If you're lucky, then it has OBDII and scanners are cheap these days, but if no OBDII port, then you'll need a Hyundai/Kia scanner which is very expensive and connects to the diagnostic port in the engine compartment.
Last full service - ~120k This hiccup problem was present before the last
service and is still present. According to the service wha manual the car requires
a full service incl plugs&lube every 15k, thus another ~5k to next service.
IIRC the plugs aren't changed every 15,000km
Best check them and their gap.
I am going to take a pic or two of the engine. As you all know, there are quite a few plugs/sensors etc. I am going to number each device (sensors etc), fill in what I have identified, maybe the forum-user can then add-on identifying the sensors etc. Else,
maybe more clear pics or info of where the sensors are located and its full names instead of acronyms. btw, Aqua, what is EGR system, acronym?, sorry for the rather novice questions... ? I think you have identified the item I am querying about correctly though.

Alles van die beste, ou BeesBlaas! :)
Gert
Take a look at the KiaTech web site - see my sig for link, and you'll find images showing the location of each sensor - don't go changing them without first doing proper diagnostics.

Looking at the KiaTech web site is appears that your model does not use the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
It seems i can't register from SA on the kiatechinfo site. I have used another user
login details, I certainly can't get to the site info which you are referring to, eg, 'shop' etc. It is rather disappointing :( The plugs were changed during the last service, as such. Keep well!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,678 Posts
Hi,
It seems i can't register from SA on the kiatechinfo site. I have used another user
login details, I certainly can't get to the site info which you are referring to, eg, 'shop' etc. It is rather disappointing :( The plugs were changed during the last service, as such. Keep well!
I have accessed that site from all over the world, including SA - make sure that you use IE and not other web browsers like FireFox.
http://www.kia-forums.com/general-k...-cant-setup-account-kiatechinfo-com-help.html

The plugs were changed - what plugs are used and what gap?

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2.0L DOHC 4x4 Auto.... 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC 4x4 Auto.
27 Posts
Looking at the engine, on the front left, half/shielded by the sparkplug cover,
a unit with vacuum pipes, one leading from the engine, looks like
some vacuum pipes attached to a relay/soleniod/sensor. Don't
know what this is. Fuel Regutor or what?

btw, I am interested in investing in an Engine code scannner /analyzer,
can anyone recommend a reasonable brand/model suitable for this vehicele?
Firstly that device you are looking at on the front of your engine is the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) it controls engine speed at idle.

Secondly I think that South Africa didn't get OBD2 compliant Kia Sportages until 2006, Australia is the same, this is where I am from. There is however another way you can get your vehicles computer to blink you a code through the check engine light. All you will need is a paperclip. This will only work if the check engine light is on during normal operation to begin with, otherwise the computer won't have a code logged into it's memory to show you.

Good luck with your car. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts