Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed when driving that when listening to my cd player the speakers seem to vibrate in the doors, distorting the sound. It happens on particularly bassey songs (not Shirley) and when the volume is 18 or more, which on the motorway is not loud at all. so.... Was wondering if: (now it sounds like question time)

A. Anybody has had the same problem?

B. If anybody knows what size speakers in the front and back of the car? I am guessing 8" speakers?

C. If anybody can recoomend any cheap decent replacements? I know cheap and decent dont normally go together but the Picanto has really shown that it can.

I feel guilty for asking so many questions of you guys, been a busy bee with my Pica and probelms, but hopefully I wll get around to helping each and every one of you on the forum.

Thank you so much,

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by completechimp@Sep 26 2005, 03:29 PM
I have noticed when driving that when listening to my cd player the speakers seem to vibrate in the doors, distorting the sound. It happens on particularly bassey songs (not Shirley) and when the volume is 18 or more, which on the motorway is not loud at all. so.... Was wondering if: (now it sounds like question time)

A. Anybody has had the same problem?

B. If anybody knows what size speakers in the front and back of the car? I am guessing 8" speakers?

C. If anybody can recoomend any cheap decent replacements? I know cheap and decent dont normally go together but the Picanto has really shown that it can.

I feel guilty for asking so many questions of you guys, been a busy bee with my Pica and probelms, but hopefully I wll get around to helping each and every one of you on the forum.

Thank you so much,

Mike
Mike,

You can use different audio systems but the problem of door panel vibration could still be present. The vibration of the door panel has everything to do with resonance. The door panels resonates on low frequency sound (bass.) Every material has a particular vibration (that is, resonant frequency) when struck, which depends among others, on the material's mass and shape. Think of the open guitar strings. Some vibrates fast, others slow. Each sounds different but when you change any one string's mass (press on the guitar fret anywhere on the neck) a different frequency is created. The faster the oscillation, the higher the pitch.

My observation is that the combination of car body vibration (engine running) and the thumping of the music brings out the natural resonant frequency of the plastic door panel and hence it will attempt to vibrate in phase with the stimulus. When the music no longer delivers the door's resonant frequency it will stop vibrating.

Since we know that the door panel does not make noise on its own accord but merely resonates a particular source frequency, we can stop the door from creating its own music by any or all of the following:

1. change the door panel's resonant frequency by a complete replacement of a different panel material and shape.
2. change the door panel's mass by sticking a heavy, solid object on it.
3. change the door panel's mass by cutting a hole on it.
4. turn down the bass in your music equalizer.
5. dampen the door's oscillation by inserting cushion between all connecting joints and surfaces.
6. turn off the radio and listen to a personal mp3 player (this is what I do and Samsung Yepp is simply excellent!)

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the speakers in my Pica, they were only 4 or 5 inches, not surprising that they cant handle the bass at loud volumes.

I put in some larger dimension speakers myself and they sound a whole lot better, they do still buzz a tiny bit when it is really loud and low, but then they are only 6 or 7 inch speakers.

I am a sound engineer so tend to notice even the tinyest bass distortion.

It was fairly easy to replace the front speakers, a few hours to make a custom housing to put them into the door but apart from that maybe an hour or hour and a half job.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that is very useful info, I think I may try cushioning the speaker, and also putting a weight into the door see if it doesnt make a difference. It just sounds loose, becomming progressively worse. If all else fails I may well just change them over to the 6 or 7 inch speakers as suggested. Never would have guessed they were that small!

Thanks for the input.

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Speakers, but if none of the other suggestions work, then given they are part of the Audio System and therfore under warranty, i should imagine the dearler would replace them.

Personally had a problem with my Radio/CD, it kept cutting out and switching iself back on again, so i approched my local dealer who did nothing more than change the whole system.

If you have not already tried, lets hope they will sort the problem out under Warranty as well.

good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts