Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 1.6 Diesel 113 2009
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new to this site but hoping someone can help me. I have a 2009 1.6 Diesel Ceed that's now done 37k, about 1,000 miles ago it's started to produce white smoke from the exhaust on cold start up and has rough idle. I wait for the glow plug light to go out etc (don't have foot on excelerator) - even left the plugs to warm up for a few seconds longer but still happens. Weird thing is it doesn't seem to do it below an outside temperature of about 15 degrees so first thing in the morning it's fine but after work on a warm day it will blow out loads of white smoke... Embarrassing on a car that's only 2 1/2 years old!

I presume the glow plugs are ok as it starts fine on cold mornings but seems to be affected by a higher outside temperature. Is there an ambient temp sensor that adjusts the throttle on start up?

I'm going to book it into Kia for them to have a look but wondering if anyone else has this issue and if so has it been fixed?

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 1.6 Crdi Challenge
159 Posts
Your diesel heater are broken... U have 4 of them... Go to the dealer and tell them to check te heaters...
Bad thing is that u have only 1 year warranty on heaters

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Your diesel heater are broken... U have 4 of them... Go to the dealer and tell them to check te heaters...
Bad thing is that u have only 1 year warranty on heaters
Why only one year warranty from Kia then. Never had a heater go in twenty years of use. Is it because Kia don't do good glow plugs. Offers of seven years warranty should have a warning notice.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I must be unlucky, I had one glow plug fail on a 100,000 mile Peugeot. :)

The glow plugs were not the problem with my car and its smoke problem was cleared with Millers additive. I can not see any one year restriction on glow plugs in the UK warranty although I suppose they could be loosely claimed to be a "consumable".

This is worth a read.

Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 (DPS4) - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

DPS4 has been renamed Diesel Power Ecomax

I have no connection with Millers other than as a satisfied customer for many years.

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
The Op says that it starts fine in cold temps, but warmer temps is when he gets a problem with smoke, surely if its the plugs then it would be a nightmare to start.

I have just bought some of that Deeps, had it in the tank for a few miles now, will hopefully be doing it's job as we are going continental next week so hopefully the internals will get a nice clean through giving me abit more umph and mpg :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
The Op says that it starts fine in cold temps, but warmer temps is when he gets a problem with smoke, surely if its the plugs then it would be a nightmare to start.
The glow plugs in a modern direct injection engine are not required to start a cold engine at normal UK ambient temperatures, they are only required for a cold start when it is way below freezing. Twenty or so years ago indirect injection engines were a different matter but things have moved on. They are used for a few seconds after engine start for emission control purposes.

How long does the glowplug light stay on for usually? Mine is normally off before the radio comes on, and I live in the frozen wastes of Scotland. I normally start my car like a petrol unless it is seriously cold and the glowplug light is on for a few seconds. :)

I hope you enjoy your continental jaunt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts