Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Ceed owners out there who tows a caravan? When I first coupled my Pro Ceed 3 to my van I wondered what would be the results. I am pleased to report it towed like a good one. Indeed the 1.6 diesel was just as good as my old Skoda Octavia with its two litre diesel engine. It even beat the Skoda, no mean feat, when forced into using the Kia’s so flexible third gear.
Living in the highlands of Scotland it proved its worth on the local hills, never balking at some nasty hill climbs and giving a fuel consumption once again matching the Octavia. It’s back down to Yorkshire for a fortnight soon, so I will be interested what results fuel wise it gives on the easier motoring in that area.
For the ones that might wonder what I tow my van is an elderly lightweight two berth Lunar Ariva GT.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
Any Ceed owners out there who tows a caravan? When I first coupled my Pro Ceed 3 to my van I wondered what would be the results. I am pleased to report it towed like a good one. Indeed the 1.6 diesel was just as good as my old Skoda Octavia with its two litre diesel engine. It even beat the Skoda, no mean feat, when forced into using the Kia’s so flexible third gear.
Living in the highlands of Scotland it proved its worth on the local hills, never balking at some nasty hill climbs and giving a fuel consumption once again matching the Octavia. It’s back down to Yorkshire for a fortnight soon, so I will be interested what results fuel wise it gives on the easier motoring in that area.
For the ones that might wonder what I tow my van is an elderly lightweight two berth Lunar Ariva GT.

Caravans?

:eek::eek::eek:

:lol:

·
Registered
2010 Pro Ceed CRD-i 1.6
84 Posts
Hi not been on site for ages,nice to see some one else shares my "new" passion in caravaning:lol: I'm just a novice having only towed my Lunar 400 twice but only 25 miles from home each time,towing down to Devon next week should be fun hope it's not windy.Surprised not more board members take part in this vantastic past time:D:D

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi not been on site for ages,nice to see some one else shares my "new" passion in caravaning:lol: I'm just a novice having only towed my Lunar 400 twice but only 25 miles from home each time,towing down to Devon next week should be fun hope it's not windy.Surprised not more board members take part in this vantastic past time:D:D
I was thinking Kia drivers and caravanning were a No! No! Have fun with your van Luckydave, you will find the Pro Ceed is a good long hauler. I use it to visit golf clubs as well as holiday trips and average 37/38 miles per gallon.
Would be interested to hear your fuel consumption.:)
johnfranklyn

·
Registered
2010 Pro Ceed CRD-i 1.6
84 Posts
I was thinking Kia drivers and caravanning were a No! No! Have fun with your van Luckydave, you will find the Pro Ceed is a good long hauler. I use it to visit golf clubs as well as holiday trips and average 37/38 miles per gallon.
Would be interested to hear your fuel consumption.:)
johnfranklyn
Can't state a mpg figure yet as I haven't covered decent distance yet around 200 mile to Devon so will post a figure next week,we decided on a caravan as we found using our campervan we were cramped with our 2 dogs and also restricted where we could park plus having to pack everything away to travel around each day,if we like it may get a Sportage and buy a bigger Caravan next year,only disadvantage is can't tow a bike but taking the dogs now wouldn't be able to

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
I'm a camper personally, we love taking the tent and all trimmings off for a long weekend. Last outing was Dundee last summer, got back form Edinburgh festival to find tent had been battered to hell by winds, but nothing had been touched inside.
Tent only just survived that holiday, and a new one is needed :(

We would consider a campervan when we're older though :)

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a camper personally, we love taking the tent and all trimmings off for a long weekend. Last outing was Dundee last summer, got back form Edinburgh festival to find tent had been battered to hell by winds, but nothing had been touched inside.
Tent only just survived that holiday, and a new one is needed :(

We would consider a campervan when we're older though :)
A campervan is one up on a caravan Dubster, we looked, but just could not afford. You just have level up and set the handbrake and you finished. A caravan is more work, but I would have thought for a technical man like yourself it would be a bit of a breeze. I do know your car is up to towing one with ease. My pro ceed finds golf clubs a problem for length, but the caravan is happy to receive.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Our car might manage it, but I doubt the engine would, only a 89BHP 1.4 petrol :(
Seriously lacking the torques of your diesel lump, and quite a bit lighter too.
It's perfick for camping & cycling trips though :)

I quite like the modern VW van conversions, like the idea of a camper that's not a huge behemoth like some of them. A normal Transit size van will get almost anywhere a car will, and they're easy to drive these days too.

However, I'm glad your Pro is doing a fine job of towing your lightweight 'van mate, and at least you can leave it on site & go off exploring further afield than via pushbike!

·
Registered
2010 Pro Ceed CRD-i 1.6
84 Posts
Made it down here to Devon no troubles at all ours is a lightweight 2 berth van well within the weight spec for a Pro Cee'd but only getting 29 mpg!!!:eek: bit disappointed with that figure

·
Registered
863 Posts
Wonder if you have the same engine as John, obviously both diesels but maybe different BHP output or size ?

·
Registered
Kia pro ceed 3 2013
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Made it down here to Devon no troubles at all ours is a lightweight 2 berth van well within the weight spec for a Pro Cee'd but only getting 29 mpg!!!:eek: bit disappointed with that figure
Hello Luckydave, Sorry to hear the fuel figure dissapointed. I have had low figures when towing in a wind that upset me and wondered how the wind was with your trip. I have returned a day early on a trip after watching the weather forcast and getting a nasty wind forcaste. Dubster pointed out our engines may be not the same. Mine is the pro Ceed 3 diesel by the way
Regards. johnfranklyn

·
Registered
280 Posts
In the last couple of years I have joined the caravanning fraternity, and found the Pro Ceed 3 I had more than up for it (1.6 CRDI (113bhp))

With my dads original caravan (don't have one of my own), it was great. The limit of the van was approx 1000kgs Maximum tow weight, but if yiou read the literature it is rated to be able to pull upto 1400kgs (braked) which for a car in this class is excellent. Beats Focus, Astra, and other cars of this caliber. My Dad uses a Citroen C5 2.0HDI and when he came once he couldn't believe the ease in which the car performed.

Anyhow onto the bad news now, due to various issues we found it necessary to go up a level with the van, 2 upto 4 berth. But we remained within the limit of the Pro Ceed. But when we first towed it the extra length behind the caravan axle meant in strong winds me car was being waggled. Also the extra weight was very noticable under power.

Don't get me wrong it did OK, like I said before it performs well above is class.

But new Kia cars are compromised (and you will see similar from other manufacturers also) because the manufacturers are, in order to help MPG and Co2 figures, making their cars lighter.

Unfortunately, this directly impacts caravanners. Whereas before you could get a Kia Ceed, ProCeed, Magentis, Kia Sportage, etc that could tow between weights 1400kgs upto 2000kgs (Sportage) - it isn't like this anymore

For example, the new Kia Sportage (which is what I was thinking of upgrading to) is only rated as being able to tow 1200KGS!!!!! unless you go for the very top of the range and 2.0 diesel.

It is the same story elsewhere with other car marks.

This is the reason I jumped as the Towing Limit and power I required was going to be available - I now have a Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI (170bhp) Elegance. It is comfortable, highly spec'd, diesel was as efficient as my Pro Ceed (pre 6 gear vehicle) and can tow upto 1800kgs.

Sorry Kia but you gave me NO options!!!
Everyone else I wish you well in your caravanning, but if you want a new car that can tow a decent weight then you'd better start shopping now as they are going fast.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thanks for that James, good stuff.

Camping & Caravanning club magazine came to the same conclusion in their big towing test last summer.
Think they recommended a 4WD Skoda or a last model KIA Sportage in the end.

·
Registered
2010 Pro Ceed CRD-i 1.6
84 Posts
Interesting post James7,I'm new to caravanning and we chose our lightweight Lunar to suit our 113bhp diesel we will be getting a new car next year-haven't decided what yet but was considering a Sportage maybe but will have to see what the towing limits are,we noticed that the Sorento was a very popular choice for towing looking round campsite we were on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts