Kia Forum banner

141 - 160 of 205 Posts

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,760 Posts
I can hardly wait to find out what else is not covered.
Not a good time to be wondering about that, something that should always be done before purchase, but its clear you've learnt that lesson.

Danage, such as the trim, is never covered by warranty.
I learned the hard way Kia's coverage is "LIMITED" . ron1004 is absolutely right. Your at the mercy of the dealer.
No exactly, Kia Corp. is the one that honors warranty, and they give directions to the dealerships performing the warranty work, but an unscrupulous dealership can at times influence the decisions made by Kia Corp.

You'll always find bad dealerships (all manufacturers) but that's not a reflection on the brand.

It was a smart move to decline the selling dealerships BS add-ons, and if you want peace of mind contact another dealership, or Kia Corp. to get the status of your warranty, and I bet you'll find your factory warranty is just as it reads in your owners manual.
You could also ask @cobra259 to confirm your warranty status.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
52 Posts
If that trim was cracked before you took delivery of it the dealer should have caught it during PDI and fixed it then at no charge to you. I can see how a piece of trim could get denied warranty coverage after delivery, but I would still also refuse to do business with that dealer.

On mine there is a trim piece that is cracked (dealer told me half of the new Sorentos they are getting are coming with that piece cracked). They caught it during PDI and ordered a new one. It is still like a month out but when it comes in they will let me know and replace it at no cost.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
133 Posts
If that trim was cracked before you took delivery of it the dealer should have caught it during PDI and fixed it then at no charge to you. I can see how a piece of trim could get denied warranty coverage after delivery, but I would still also refuse to do business with that dealer.

On mine there is a trim piece that is cracked (dealer told me half of the new Sorentos they are getting are coming with that piece cracked). They caught it during PDI and ordered a new one. It is still like a month out but when it comes in they will let me know and replace it at no cost.
What piece gets cracked?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
85 Posts
Virtually all warranties for all items sold on Earth are limited warranties. Don't get hung up on the word "limited." If warranties weren't limited, they'd be universal - meaning you could return the vehicle any time if your reason was "I got tired of the color."

KIa's new car limited warranty is one of the best in the business - 5 years/60,000 miles covering virtually everything except cosmetics and replacement items like wiper blades. Most car companies only give you a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty of this type.

This dealer tried to jack the price on you with an "extended" warranty - which they try to get everyone to buy because it's almost all profit for them. They're betting you'll either sell the car before that warranty kicks in, or that there's enough fine print in the warranty that they can evade repairs, or that years from now you'll forget the warranty or its details and so not use it.

If you're concerned about your car breaking down five or more years from now, you can always buy an extended warranty then (before the car actually breaks, of course). But the combination of Kia's 5/60K warranty, the 10/100K also included for powertrain components, and Kia's overall quality means that I would never, ever buy an extended warranty for a brand new car at the time of purchase.

The cracked trim you mention is yet another strike against that dealer. If cracked at the time you took delivery, it was definitely on the dealer to replace it. That's why it's so critical that you do a detailed walk-around of a new vehicle as you're taking delivery, to note any odd paint problems, damaged trim, missing trim (it's happened to me inside the car once), all accessories work, etc.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento S 2.5 GDI USA
85 Posts
What piece gets cracked?
The driver side rear door trim on floor just in front of back seat. We found it on a walk around at delivery but I have nothing in writing just a hand shake. Called up a couple of weeks later and I got "We don't know what your talking about". It's on order at another dealer but since it's trim it is not covered so I get to put it in myself and paid in advance for the part. Luckily it's only 40 bucks. The glue marks are from me in an attempt to glue the shards back together. Unfortunately some of the pieces fell underneath. I can't see how anything I did would cause this. Wouldn't you just love to look at that on the car you just paid 40 thousand dollars for. Ron1004 is wright. Get it in writing or you are SOL.

Cracked Trim.jpg

·
Registered
192 Posts
OK - this all makes more sense now. As others have said, every warranty offered is 'limited' in some way. Don't get hung up on that. The issue here with the trim piece though is twofold:

1. The selling dealer reneging on their agreement to replace it. Unfortunately, without anything in writing, all you can really do is never do business with them again, and name-and-shame them all over social media.

2. Secondly, should the trim piece breaking like that be a warranty item? The warranty covers manufacturing defects, not wear and tear and damage from unreasonable use of the vehicle. Given there is NOTHING they could reasonably argue as normal wear and tear on a car a couple of weeks old, the question is, was that caused by a manufacturing defect or by some kind of unreasonable action on your part (I know you didn't do it, but that's essentially what they are claiming by denying warranty). I'd love to know what unreasonable thing they are claiming you could have done to cause that. I certainly can't think of any. Hope your case with Kia works out. As you said, it's 'only' $40, but there's definitely a principal at stake here.

Oh, and good job declining the extended warranty. Paying $4k for something that won't kick in for 5 years is great business for the dealer, but terrible for you. They almost always let you buy it any time before the original warranty expires so if you plan to keep the car and it's shown any signs of being troublesome, buy it in 4 years and 11 months time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The cracked trim you mention is yet another strike against that dealer. If cracked at the time you took delivery, it was definitely on the dealer to replace it. That's why it's so critical that you do a detailed walk-around of a new vehicle as you're taking delivery, to note any odd paint problems, damaged trim, missing trim (it's happened to me inside the car once), all accessories work, etc.
Funny you mention missing trim. On my 2016 Sorrento, when we picked it up, the door-sill protector trims on the driver's side were chrome effect, whilst on the passenger side they were plain black plastic. Dealer was mystified how that happened, but ordered replacements with no questions asked.

It's always useful to purchase cars at the dealer when the parts department is still open. That way you can see them place orders for any parts needed at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Again this is not the best place to air this dispute. I filed a case with Kia Motors and New York State Department of Consumer Affairs. I will wait for those answers. I am hoping for credit on the part but $40 bucks is no big deal. I am not going to be returning to that particular dealer. I find it amusing that they are sending me emails inviting me in for free service checkups as they state "I am now part of the Kia family".

RON1004 was absolutely right in his assessment of the situation.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento Hybrid EX White/Black
20 Posts
That’s definitely a dealership problem and unfortunately there are a lot of shitty Kia dealerships.

My hybrid actually arrived damaged. The original dealer missed it and so did my dealer. I caught it on pickup because I have eagle eyes. There was paint damage from what I suspect was during original transport. It was right below the taillights on the bumper In the crack/gap between tail light and bumper right by the hatch/tailgate . It was not noticeable unless you knew it was there or went over everything with a fine tooth comb. It honestly looked like dirt at first.

I took delivery on a Friday after hours. They made note of it and took photos and it was fixed the following week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, from which dealership did you get your car? I am looking in socal right now. Thanks!

Hey guys! I made the jump and just joined the Sorento family tonight. I got the SX X-Line in Aruba Green. Got it for 40,218 before ttl and no dealer options. It was a super smooth transaction. I was surprised because I negotiated through text and they pretty much had the paperwork drawn up when I got there. I just had to take the deal, since there were like only 5 dealerships in Socal that had the green, and they all wanted msrp minus the 500 rebate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Again this is not the best place to air this dispute. I filed a case with Kia Motors and New York State Department of Consumer Affairs. I will wait for those answers. I am hoping for credit on the part but $40 bucks is no big deal. I am not going to be returning to that particular dealer. I find it amusing that they are sending me emails inviting me in for free service checkups as they state "I am now part of the Kia family".

RON1004 was absolutely right in his assessment of the situation.
Kia Motors Irvine Ca say's it's between me and the dealer.

RON1004 is right. If it's not in writing you are SOL.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento, SX-Prestige X-Line. Silver/Black
26 Posts
I tried to buy one there for a similar price and they sold it out from under me or they were bullshitting from the get go. That’s about what I paid for mine. Was definitely a loss leader for them.

·
Registered
2021 SX Prestige X-Line
52 Posts
I tried to buy one there for a similar price and they sold it out from under me or they were bullshitting from the get go. That’s about what I paid for mine. Was definitely a loss leader for them.
No dealer is selling a new car at a loss. Even if they sell it under invoice they still have dealer holdback which could be as much as $2,500 per vehicle depending on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Sorento, SX-Prestige X-Line. Silver/Black
26 Posts
No dealer is selling a new car at a loss. Even if they sell it under invoice they still have dealer holdback which could be as much as $2,500 per vehicle depending on the vehicle.
That’s not true. I have a family member who is a GM of a car dealer. The loss leader is a car they are using to get people on the lot in hopes of selling them something else. If that ad generates 6 other sales, but they lose $1K on that individual sale(hold back does exist, but not typically enough to cover losses on an individual sale), then it is worth it to take a loss on that car. I know this because It took me 4 dealers refusing to sell me the car over the phone before I finally showed up at one and wanted to buy the car and they had no choice(legally). And yes they did try to sell me something else.

·
Registered
85 Posts
RON1004 is right. If it's not in writing you are SOL. That's a cool car. What is it?

·
Registered
2021 Sorento Sx X-Line
8 Posts
Hey, from which dealership did you get your car? I am looking in socal right now. Thanks!
I got it from dtla. They were one of the only dealerships that honored the price they quoted me online. I went to Van Nuys, Cerritos, Huntington Beach, Temecula, El Cajon, and Covina Valley. They almost all bait and switched. Glendale honored their price quote, but wanted me to buy their brake pulse system option that they didn't want to take off, because they prewire it into the car.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
133 Posts
I got it from dtla. They were one of the only dealerships that honored the price they quoted me online. I went to Van Nuys, Cerritos, Huntington Beach, Temecula, El Cajon, and Covina Valley. They almost all bait and switched. Glendale honored their price quote, but wanted me to buy their brake pulse system option that they didn't want to take off, because they prewire it into the car.
So did they take it off or not charge you?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
11,760 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sorento Sx X-Line
8 Posts
So did they take it off or not charge you?
They wouldn't take it off, and they lowered the price of the options to like 399. But I still didn't want them. I personally don't like my brake lights flashing when I step on the brakes. In the end, I just left that dealership, and found one that took off all the dealer installed stuff.

141 - 160 of 205 Posts