Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
Month ago got my EX v6 2013 Sorento and love it! :) I have over 1000 miles on it.
Official manual says there is no break-in period, but I think it would be better to change engine oil to full synthetic after 1Kmiles as we did on old style engines.
$50 to keep engine in good shape is not big deal.
What do you think ?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
In my opinion, you would be wasting your time and money. OK, so there's no official "break-in" period, but your will find that the performance will improve slightly up to about 5000 miles, and your will also use a small amount of oil and the oil will get slightly dirty during this period. -That's the time to change to your preferred oil.

We took KIA at their word and didn't do the first change until 12 months/15,000km on our Cerato 2.0 (13,000km actual). No worries with performance, and new oil (premium non-synth) is looking good. Engine used about 750ml during first 13,000km and none since.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
For what it's worth, I have the same vehicle and waited until 3500 miles to make sure things were broken in. Now I'm running full synthetic. It only took about 10 mins to change the oil myself.

Best,

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX in Silver with Sunroof, 2006 Mazda 3
45 Posts
I did close to what your thinking. I let dealer do free oil change at 1500 mi and then I switched to synthetic at 5000 mi. I'll stick with with synthetic for 7000 mi intervals. I agree that it is relatively "cheap" peace of mind even though it probably makes no discernable difference.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Today I was at dealership to change oil to penzoil full synthetic. Bought 6 qts
of oil and ( since 3.5L engine requires 5.5 qts ) , guess what ? They overfilled it! may be 1/2 or 3/4 inches above high mark. Darn, they are biggest KIA dealership in AZ!! Mark Kia.
My bad, I had not checked level of oil at the place, since it was end of day and I did not want to hit traffic on the road, and I was tired after long work day, I could pay attention since they did not return me rest of oil ( 0.5 qts ).
How bad it is , what do you think ?

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Hi,
Today I was at dealership to change oil to penzoil full synthetic. Bought 6 qts
of oil and ( since 3.5L engine requires 5.5 qts ) , guess what ? They overfilled it! may be 1/2 or 3/4 inches above high mark. Darn, they are biggest KIA dealership in AZ!! Mark Kia.
My bad, I had not checked level of oil at the place, since it was end of day and I did not want to hit traffic on the road, and I was tired after long work day, I could pay attention since they did not return me rest of oil ( 0.5 qts ).
How bad it is , what do you think ?
I wouldn't be overly concerned. If it really bothers you, you can simply remove the drain plug for a split second and let a coffee cup or two worth of oil out. Then button her back up. Or just leave it alone and not worry. :)

Best,

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Like dmitry, I don't like the oil over-filled. Unfortunately many mechanics habitually over-fill, either by failing to look up the engine specs, or by pouring oil into a cold engine, starting it briefly, and then testing the level. Many engines hold 1/2 a litre or more in the upper parts, and this doesn't drain quickly enough for a quick dip-stick check.

When it happens, I usually extract the excess oil with a plastic tube and syringe. I've toyed with the idea of only supplying the exact amount, but I'm sure that the mechanic would defeat this by finding some foreign oil to make sure it was at the "correct" level.

Serious over-filling can lead to engine damage if the oil is churned into a froth by the crankshaft.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
Like dmitry, I don't like the oil over-filled. Unfortunately many mechanics habitually over-fill, either by failing to look up the engine specs, or by pouring oil into a cold engine, starting it briefly, and then testing the level. Many engines hold 1/2 a litre or more in the upper parts, and this doesn't drain quickly enough for a quick dip-stick check.

When it happens, I usually extract the excess oil with a plastic tube and syringe. I've toyed with the idea of only supplying the exact amount, but I'm sure that the mechanic would defeat this by finding some foreign oil to make sure it was at the "correct" level.

Serious over-filling can lead to engine damage if the oil is churned into a froth by the crankshaft.
Install a Fumoto quick drain valve and you can forget about sucking oil out. I have one on my Sorento and it works great. I had a Fram quick drain a while back and it was a piece of garbage. The Fumoto is a quality product. F-106 will fit all Kias. I got the F-106N, which has a nipple to attach a hose to. For the I4, no adaptor is needed, but not sure about the V6, since I've never seen one from the bottom up. Makes changing the oil in my garage that much easier.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
362 Posts
Yeah if it is truly overfilled you need to drain some out, perfect is actually a tad below the full line. Dont ever run your car with overfilled oil if you can help it.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Yeah if it is truly overfilled you need to drain some out, perfect is actually a tad below the full line. Dont ever run your car with overfilled oil if you can help it.
Egregiously overfilling can be a problem, but the picture above shows what it probably no more than about a pint (400-500ml for you metric folks) of extra oil. That's nothing to be concerned about.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats funny!

Was at same dealership today and explained the situation.
First of all, mechanic said - "it's ok, it will not damage your car.We have special measurement reservoir and put oil from it, so no problem here "

I said there are recommendations in KIA manual -"Do not overfill".
He said, "KIA (sic!) has a lot of defective dipsticks, so these marks on them
do not matter"

I said , "ok, could you please drain some extra oil out, just to follow recommendations and, if there is a defective dipstick, KIA will be responsible for that"

After 20 mins he bring me _printed papers_ , as he said they are from KIA _internal_ manual, papers shows that my engine requires 6L or so of oil. I ask him to make me a copy of that papers, and he declined that. Just waved papers around my nose :) I started to be angry, darn. I asked to drain oil again just a little below F mark .

I was told I have to sign special paper for that, confirming I will be responsible to any damage causing drain oil out of engine. I said ok, I will sign that if level of oil will be in recommended by manufacturer's manual range, just below F mark.

After that ( 20 mins of discussing ) they drained extra oil. No papers were signed by me.

I really felt like I am in circus with clowns and monkeys. Its very simple operation to do oil change with _my_own_oil .

Hey, I do not know if Mark Kia AZ representatives read that thread, but looks like I will never return to that service again.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a pretty bad dealership. I'd find somewhere else to have your Kia serviced.

Best,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts