Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last Sunday we went swimming at a friend's house. Like I have done 100 times this year, I pulled forward and then back into his driveway to un-load the swimming stuff. They live on a lake and we float in a cove and drink... :thumbsup:

As I'm backing up, a car, driving too fast for the road, comes into the turn at the end of his driveway, tires squealing.

To avoid the car full of worthless teenagers, I come into the driveway too shallow and run off a culvert.

The rear, rightside wheel, drops off and I hear a horrible metal on concrete sound.

I have no choice but to keep going. I do and then inspect the damage.

I collapsed the right side board and rip the upper mounts on the bracket out of the inner body.

So we swim and drink, turning a frown into a smile- :grin:

When I get home I take it off and bend the brackets back, but the upper bolt holes were ripped out.

So the next day I take it to the dealership and they look at it. No dice, I did it up good.

So I take it to my Dad's, who has a Hot Rod shop. He sells parts and builds cars.

So we build a stainless steel bracket, drill and tap the frame for the bracket and attach it to the running board bracket.

It's now 10 time stronger than it was, and we are going to build 3 more for the rest.

It's a good thing I had the board....I would have torn the crap outa my body had I not had them...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Spec SX@Aug 25 2005, 07:51 PM
Glad to hear a bad thing turned into something good. Now its much stronger. :thumbsup:

Oh yea...mucho better than the stock mounts. After looking at the way that they are attached, I don't see how they are not ripped out more.

The rear has the bracket on the frame, but it's not that strong. The Front has no bracket and is attached only to the inner body...

Our bracket, makes the front 100% stronger....I'm going to change all of the others out to our brackets as soon as I can...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts