Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of February I bought myself a new Picanto 1.1 LX, and thoroughly enjoyed it. At some point between then and now it started losing power, but this has been a gradual thing and I can't actually say when it started. The first time I was really aware of it was a month or so back on the motorway - from 70 I dropped to 50 when the road took a slight upturn.

On the flat it was merely sluggish, but up even a slight incline I would have to change into lower and lower gears, at one point needing first gear to get up a 1:10 slope! There were no warning lights on, and I checked all the fluid levels. Everything seemed okay, though when it was about a month old I did notice the engine sounding a little odd, but I think that passed.

Anyway, I took it back to the dealership and they said they'd check it, though wear-and-tear wasn't covered under the warranty. My response was that wear and tear breaking a car within four months is indicative of something being wrong anyway, and they took the car to look it over. That was two weeks ago. I had an update after a week that the mechanic had checked everything mechanical and was starting on the electronics, and then another a few days later that he was baffled and waiting on a call back from Kia themselves, but still nothing.

I found references here to Sportages having the same problem, and a suggestion that it was caused by a clogged catalytic converter, and passed that on, but does anyone else here have something else to suggest?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
39 Posts
i also have the same issues..... but its random, somethings its back to normal and eager to go...

I suspect it could be due to climatic condition as Asia is hot... also i am suspectign i could be the petrol, i am using Shell .....

any pointers guys ?
ps/ i have also change just my spark plugs ....didnt help wif the random problem of engine slugglishness.....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Ask them to check for play at the crank (cambelt pulley) pulley, some have an underspec pully which rotates on the crank and alters the timing, loosing power.
It's a small but known problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers. I've passed that on, but since they gave me the loan car it feels as though mine has become a low priority for them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi LabRatt,

that would be reason enough for me not to enjoy my car anymore. So don't be put off by the dealer's response. Such a decrease in performance must be covered by the warranty.

To my knowledge, KIA out-sources repairs to independant garages in most countries. Quite often these people don't have a clue, I'm afraid. Whereas a Volkswagen garage in my country would make you feel welcome at any cost, my KIA mechanics usually make me feel completely abandoned.

As in: "You have a problem, we don't."

I guess that's the price we pay for driving a definite low cost vehicle. The mechanics and service are real low cost, too. Therefore: Fight for your rights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts