Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a Rockville 8" subwoofer SS8P. Because of the heater vents under both front seats, ended up placing under the left rear seat which had just enough clearance.

Cut a slit and slid the power cable next to the factory wiring loom thru the firewall.
Drilled a hole on the positive terminal battery cover to access the battery post.

The unit has auto power on feature when hooked up via high level speaker wire, so just spliced the rear speaker wires from the driver and passenger rocker panels and didn't have to remove the head unit for the remote power wire.

The speaker wire colors are as follows. They are twisted pairs and are thicker than others and thus easy to identify.

Rear Left+ = YELLOW
Rear Left - = BLACK

Rear Right+ = GREEN
Rear Right- = ORANGE

Mounted the the remote control below the climate system using a double-sided tape.

Connected the ground wire to the back left bolt of the rear seat.

It was an all day job, but the improved sound quality is well worth the effort. Fills the cabin nicely with bass even when listening at relatively low volume which is my preference.

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX+ V6 2018
31 Posts
Nice! Was actually looking at that very same sub. So worth it? So you hooked up power to the battery directly, ground to the rear seat bolt. then left and right speaker connection and that is it? Simple enough. Will have to wait a bit...until spring at least but will definitively be on my to-do list. thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
196 Posts
Thanks Chuck!

I have the same audio system as you, and I find it mediocre. Is simply adding the sub enough to make the sound very good? How about when you crank it up?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May i ask where the speaker wires you tapped into located in the pictures?
The wires are tapped from the driver and front passenger door sills. Pull off the plastic cover, and you'll see a bundle of wires. You will then need to slice open the electrical tape covering the wires to access them. Pic #4 is the driver side, and pic #5 is the passenger side.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chuck!

I have the same audio system as you, and I find it mediocre. Is simply adding the sub enough to make the sound very good? How about when you crank it up?
You'll definitely hear the lows that were missing before, but it won't make your system sound like a high end unit with components. That said, I am very happy with the results.

I usually don't go past volume level 20, and thus my frequency, input gain and bass boost levels are adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX V6
24 Posts
Thanks for the post with pictures. That spot in the firewall is where I was going to try for when I install mine, glad to see it works well. Hoping for some warmer weather soon to get it done, a sunny day with temps above 40 should be good enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts