Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of the rear power window regulators failed in my 2000 Sportage. Within a few weeks of each other both of the windows fell open. The motor for the regulators are working but nothing happens.

So for the past couple of months I have been driving around with duct holding the windows in place. During this time I have notice at least two other Sportages with what appears to be the same problem.

That said, is there any easy fix for this or a Kia Service Bulletin or am I looking at two new regulators?

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both of the rear power window regulators failed in my 2000 Sportage. Within a few weeks of each other both of the windows fell open. The motor for the regulators are working but nothing happens.

Hi, I had that problem also. My left rear window fell open and I had duct tape on it to. But my sportage was still under warranty and I took it in and got it fixed. I think probably you will need the new parts. Good luck. I wonder if Kia should do a recall on some of this stuff that seems so common to go bad. I think they should. I called there consumer complaint line and told them about my problems. I figure it won't help but what the heck it can't hurt.
Jeanne

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having owned different cars with power windows, I do notice with my 2000 that the windows seem to have almost no "power" when using them. The motor seems to be very slow and, at intermitant times, fail to function at all. Meaning, when depressing the switch, nothing happens. Most of the time, using another pw switch will cure this; however, something electrical is definitely going on.

Just another fyi. If anyone knows why the motors operate so slowly, please let on. Same goes with the electrical component.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
349 Posts
The window regulator motors have just barely adequate power to move the windows. As the rubber channel gets dirty and dry they slow down even more. A simple and easy solution: Get a can of silicone spray lubricant. Spray the rubber channels that the windows ride in. You'll be surprized how much faster the windows go up/down.

Do it every few months as regular maintenance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree you have to lube the track and the rails. But as far as the window sliding open there is a plastic gear inside the motor housing that strips out and goes bad. If you take it apart you can see the gear and see what i mean. Its a realy
cheep part you can get it from the dealership but they will have to order the part. or you can do as i did and just go to the local junk yard. Oh yea and most the sephia window motors are the same as the sportages. well at least 99's. Good luck

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
EDIT: Awesome, I never thought about lubing the rails, I always thought they were just naturally slow as heck, I know my oldsmobile windows were super slow. Ill give that spray a shot...

·
Registered
6 Posts
WOW never thought this will work but i did give it a try and works like a charm. I also like to point out that I replace the driver door power window regulator and it was farely easy to do the only thing that holds it together are six bolts but you must remover the glass first it cost me $82.00 and it took me like 20 minutes to do.
here is a black white picture of the window taken from kia web page :p window pic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts