Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i have a 2000 sprtage EX that has been pretty reliable so far (knock on wood) except for my driver side window. it has stopped working. i hear the motor running, and i've taken the interior cover off and can see moving parts, but something has come loose. (i know this because i took my passenger door off and the part that is loose on the driver side is not loose on the passenger side.) is there a place i can get a pic of the assembly that moces the driver side window up and down. (preferably an exploded view, but any will do.) thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay, i didn't find any pics, but with a small mirror, i was able to explore the passenger side to see what the driver's side is SUPPOSED to look like. the small plastic clip that is at the base of the track the window moves up and down on came off. i ended up pulling the whole assembly out and taking a good lood at it. the steel cable that moves teh glass got mangled in the gearbox that attaches to the motor. i tok it all apart and re-wound the cable but cannot re-attach the plastic clip to it's mounting point. i'm guessing that all the twisting and mangling has taken away the tiny bit of give that would normally let someone re-attach the pastic clip. At this point, i sought a way to give my self a little bit of the slack that i lost. For those of you who have never had the wonderful opportunity to tear apart your driver's door, the window unit is (was: i'll explain in a bit) a triangular setup with the motor at one corner and the top and bottom of the track at the other two. The plastic clip was at the bottom of the triangle, the motor was at the forward corner and the top of the track was the top of the triangle. there are sleeves between the motor-corner and each end of the track. my idea was to shorten each fo these sleeves by half of the amount of slack i needed so i could wrestle the clip back into position. Unfornutely, i nicked the steel cable and it started to fray. So i had to buy a new one (the whole assembly)... even though, (until i nicked the cable) the one i had would probably have worked. The new unit has a much better design; both up and down cables go to the top of the track, making the whole thing more maneuverable inside the door, and the pulley housing is made of metal instead of brittle (crappy) plastic. so if anyone in the san antonio area needs to have their driverside window motor replaced, look me up and i'll give you a good rate. ;) it takes only about 15 minutes if you have the parts and tools.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
The member Jill sent me and email and the following was said about this topic....

I have had nothing but problems with our power windows, I am trying to
get ours fixed under the extended warranty we purcahsed to no avail. I
have heard there was a recall however no luck finding it yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts