Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX 3.3 V6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Sorento sx.Just wondering if anyone has had a problem opening their power tailgate while parked on a hill or slope,nothing extremely steep.Mine starts too open but closes almost immediately.Is this normal?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
No. I say this only because it has not been a problem for me, and I've had enough opportunities to see this if it would have been an issue.

Either a) there is some binding that is causing the lift gate to draw extra current under all circumstances, but not enough to prevent it from opening on level ground, and the additional effort required on a hill is setting the current sensor off, or b) the sensitivity of the current sensor is incorrect.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX 3.3 V6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I say this only because it has not been a problem for me, and I've had enough opportunities to see this if it would have been an issue.

Either a) there is some binding that is causing the lift gate to draw extra current under all circumstances, but not enough to prevent it from opening on level ground, and the additional effort required on a hill is setting the current sensor off, or b) the sensitivity of the current sensor is incorrect.
Ok thanks,I guess I'll have to go to the dealer.Warranty ended last month 🙄

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6 AWD FE (w/ EX Premium Package) & 2020 Soul EX (w/ EX Designer Collection Package)
22 Posts
I have a 2016 Sorento sx.Just wondering if anyone has had a problem opening their power tailgate while parked on a hill or slope,nothing extremely steep.Mine starts too open but closes almost immediately.Is this normal?
I have the same issue. Mine is also 2016. The issue happens when I park my Sorento on a slight downhill. I've tried silicone spay on the weather stripping.. but no luck.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
573 Posts
Park the other way around. :cool:

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
584 Posts
Park the other way around. :cool:
Similar thought occurred to me. are each of you facing the issue when parked with the front facing downhill? Or uphill? or the issue happens regardless?

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6 AWD FE (w/ EX Premium Package) & 2020 Soul EX (w/ EX Designer Collection Package)
22 Posts
Similar thought occurred to me. are each of you facing the issue when parked with the front facing downhill? Or uphill? or the issue happens regardless?
It happens when parked with the front facing slight downhill.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
If it works on flat ground, facing downhill is the only one that makes sense. The starting angle of the door is much more inclined facing downhill, requiring extra 'effort' to start to open the hatch. Facing uphill, the hill would actually give the mechanism a bit of an assist. Whatever is happening to the OP, the overcurrent sensing is tripping due to the additional load on the door in a downhill position. As I say, it's either requiring too much current to begin with, or the current sensing circuitry is too sensitive. Mine opens OK when pointing downhill, so there are clearly operational differences. It would also be hard to imagine engineering one that wouldn't open on a reasonable decline.

@bow45 did have a good idea trying to keep the hatch from sticking to the seal -- many will do that in damp weather even on flat ground, and a downhill orientation would just make the power requirement worse -- so that was eliminated for that owner. I think the OP DaveyJ might want to try this, though, to eliminate it as part of the cause. Wipe the entire periphery of the seal with thin coat of a liquid silicone lube of your choice, focusing especially on the bottom half where the mechanical advantage of the seal is greatest.

To the OP ... if you can time a gentle manual assist properly as the gate unlatches, lowering the current needed to operate it, you can probably get the hatch to open until you get this figured out. That's what those whose hatches tend to stick to their unlubricated seals have to do as well.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX AWD V6 Sport
17 Posts
This is a great suggestion for other reasons as well - applying the liquid silicone of your choice will make the gaskets more pliable (soft) creating a better seal (without sticking), reduce drafts, wind noise and rattles.

If it works on flat ground, facing downhill is the only one that makes sense. The starting angle of the door is much more inclined facing downhill, requiring extra 'effort' to start to open the hatch. Facing uphill, the hill would actually give the mechanism a bit of an assist. Whatever is happening to the OP, the overcurrent sensing is tripping due to the additional load on the door in a downhill position. As I say, it's either requiring too much current to begin with, or the current sensing circuitry is too sensitive. Mine opens OK when pointing downhill, so there are clearly operational differences. It would also be hard to imagine engineering one that wouldn't open on a reasonable decline.

@bow45 did have a good idea trying to keep the hatch from sticking to the seal -- many will do that in damp weather even on flat ground, and a downhill orientation would just make the power requirement worse -- so that was eliminated for that owner. I think the OP DaveyJ might want to try this, though, to eliminate it as part of the cause. Wipe the entire periphery of the seal with thin coat of a liquid silicone lube of your choice, focusing especially on the bottom half where the mechanical advantage of the seal is greatest.

To the OP ... if you can time a gentle manual assist properly as the gate unlatches, lowering the current needed to operate it, you can probably get the hatch to open until you get this figured out. That's what those whose hatches tend to stick to their unlubricated seals have to do as well.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX (..and also drove a 2004.5 Spectra for 13+ years / 127k great miles)
60 Posts
Do the electric assist tailgates also still have gas strut assists? If so - those could possibly be part of the equation too - falling below some threshold of required pressure to allow the mechanism to work? If the trend is for this to happen in 2016's, those struts (if they exist) are around 5 years old now. Just a thought.

-SM2016

P.S. I'm basing my theory on the design of my in-laws old mid-2000's Chrysler minivan that had this feature. It had a combination of gas struts and a mechanical arm to pull the door down. I just watched a video about this feature on the Sorento, and it looks much different.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,513 Posts
Negative on gas assist. The 'spindle' (since it's not a traditional strut) as they call it is all electric.
The 'spindle' has a couple of Hall sensors that detect motion, and the Power Tailgate Module is also capable of detecting current draw by each of the two 'spindles'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts