Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the original stereo in my 2004 KIA Spectra with a Sony. It worked fine for around sixty days and then failed to come on. I traced the fault back to the power pin on the connector. It wasn't getting any power. I fixed it by connecting the power pin to the cigar lighter. It works fine now but it will not retain any presets, and dashboard clock will not retain the time setting either. So it looks like these settings depend on a volatil memory, which implies there must have been a trickle current to these devices even when the key was turned off. I did find the BCM (Body Control Module) over the fuse box under the dash, but it's a black box I don't know anything about. I was just wondering if maybe it has a battery to provide the trickle current (like a computer BIOS) or if it is hooked into the car battery via an impedence. If it has a separate battery, I could just replace the battery, but if it is hooked into the car battery, is there a way to reprogram the BCM to get the trickle current going again, or is this a hopeless case without replacing the whole BCM? :huh:

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Sounds like you have a few blown fuses inside the cab of the car...
The Sony radio needs TWO power sources...and there are two wires for those purposes. They usually have in line fuses on the wiring harness supplied with the radio.
One is the IGN (Ignition) wire that is switched on and off by the key and is fed +12v by a fuse marked "radio". The other is the "backup or memory" wire and that is fed by the "room" fuse that is plugged into a "colored" area (usually Yellow/Green/or Orange in color) on the fuse panel. Check them both... The BCM is NOT your problem and you will waste your money replacing it.
Dave

BTW...
Is your Spectra a 2004 or a 2004.5 model? There was a model change mid year and the 2004.5 through 2009 Spectras are different from the 2004 and before models in body style, engine, transmission, and wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. You were quite right. It was the room fuse. Replacing it fixed everything. Not only does it now save the memory but I no longer need the cigar lighter for 12 volt power. In answer to your question, my car is a KIA Spectra 2004.5 LX. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Glad to help...
Now pass it on and help others here!
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts