Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Rio 5 EX sport 2009
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, the other day as I passed in front of my girlfriend rio 5 I heard a noise, I opened the hood and it was the steering pump.
It’s starting to make a very small noise.
I decided to get some PSF3 as per the user manual call for.
The dealer gives me power steering oil. I asked about the 3 (PSF3) and he didn’t know and he told me that it’s what they used.
I get home and decide to remove the pump but didn’t unplug the hose, it seems to be from inside the pump and not the bearing.
So I told myself to reinstall since I don’t have the necessary parts for rebuilt and replace the fluid. Does anyone know the bearing and parts numbers need to rebuilt?
I remove the most I could from the tank and its red like ATF, but when I open my first bottle its transparent to light yellow like cooking oil.
So the mystery is, did they add ATF or replaced the steering oil with ATF when they use to serviced or is the power steering oil they give me the wrong one?
I have added one bottle as I only had removed one bottle in quantity.
Anyone had a problem like this?
Are these two oils compatible with each other?
Thanking you in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,413 Posts
PSF3 is red, so if it hasn't been touched before, the system should have PSF3 in it, not ATF. I have no clue what they gave you, but I wouldn't use it. As for rebuilding the pump, I don't think separate pieces are available to do so, so pump replacement is usually what is needed.

·
Registered
Rio 5 EX sport 2009
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This is what the guy at Kia parts give me. I went back talk to them and told that it had to be PSF3, that my girl friend car had a red oil on it they say thats what they use and only I believe magnentis use the psf4 and if the oil on the power steering was red is because one of the mecanics may have added when came to service if it was missing.
I told them that it looks like ATF.
He said it was compatible, them I told him, if compatible them would be ok to put on a transmission, after a wile he answered that the atf was a higher grade that could be added and they would open a new bottle just to top it of.
On thefirst line of the picture below it seems to indicate that is PSF3 compatible.
clic on the pic so you can see better.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I have always used Kia SPIII transmission fluid in my power steering systems. Even mixed it with the factory fluid. Never had a problem with it. My Sedona with 193,000 miles has been running only SPIII in it for over 60k of those miles, not a single problem. Power steering fluid is nothing but transmission fluid anyway, so I've been told.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts