Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
02 Sedona 80k 500SL 34k 300SE 161k 300E
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 02 Sedona, only when cold during winter time , 45F, works fine once warmed up, no issues during summer time, why? wrong fluid in there?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,348 Posts
More than likely you should try flushing out the original power steering oil and renewing it all with Fresh, most systems have been using the same oil as the automatic trans oil.
Had this trouble occur on our 09 Spectra, got so bad that the P/S belt would squeal cold and even when not squealing the wheel turn effort was very hard when cold. A flush and refill has done the trick for the last year now.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read on the net that they make PS fluid for cold weather due to this issue? and I think Owners manual has something about it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, manual says cold weather affects fluid viscosity for PS system and its not a sign of malfunction, just give it extra gas until warmed lol.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
136 Posts
I've read on the net that they make PS fluid for cold weather due to this issue? and I think Owners manual has something about it.
Just replace the fluid. I think it takes Dexron III automatic trans fluid. They are easy to find at parts stores. Walmart ones are good,too.
I replaced mine because it was old (170k miles) and making noise. It took me about 2 to 3 hours. Not hard, just fiddly, have to take off the wheel, hoses and empty fluids. And a few bolts that are in a bit tight place. Was able to find a OEM Mando (made in Korea) part at Adv auto with coupon (lucked out) for $60. The power rob from an old P/S pump is real.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts