Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona 2.9CRDI
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got an 03 Sedona, recently the steering has gone a bit stiff and it doesn't always self centre by itself however it's not so stiff that it's un-driveable. ps fluid levels are okay and it's not making any weird noises. Could the ps pump be on the way out or could it be something to do with the steering rack? Anyone else came across this issue? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,380 Posts
That OLD, do you have any maint. history of front suspension maint/repairs being done? (struts, ball joints, control arm bushings)

How about tire wear patterns the front, showing wear on the inner or outer treads of the tires?

I would also suggest that by age(Km's unknown) that the Power steering fluid be flushed and replaced with new.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona 2.9CRDI
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That OLD, do you have any maint. history of front suspension maint/repairs being done? (struts, ball joints, control arm bushings)

How about tire wear patterns the front, showing wear on the inner or outer treads of the tires?

I would also suggest that by age(Km's unknown) that the Power steering fluid be flushed and replaced with new.
Thanks for the reply, haven't got any evidence/ history of front suspension work, the ride is very floaty. Front tyres tend to wear pretty badly overtime on the outer edges. Covered 204000Km but yes that is a good shout as can't remember the last time the power steering fluid was replaced.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,380 Posts
Thanks for the reply, haven't got any evidence/ history of front suspension work, the ride is very floaty. Front tyres tend to wear pretty badly overtime on the outer edges. Covered 204000Km but yes that is a good shout as can't remember the last time the power steering fluid was replaced.
Sounds like time to get into a shop and have the front end inspected, for the things I posted. Particularly the Ball joints. Floaty would tell me the front struts are used up and time to replace them, a good alignment should follow checking TOE and CAMBER. These 2 things will cause the kind of tire wear you describe, and depending on where they are set currently can cause increased steering stiffness.

Reactions: Koopa

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
32 Posts
It's very easy to check ball joints and tie rods. Watch this short video, it will show you how.

This is definitely a bigger job that takes hard work to do, but not very hard all in all. I'm currently replacing mt lower control arms (ball joints), inner and outer tie rods and driver side cv axle on my 2003 Sedona EX.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
141 Posts
Bad tire wear can be many things: bad ball joints, tie rods, bad shocks and bad wheel bearing. You need to get the front suspensions checked. Mind you, if you can wrench, all those can be done at home. (wheel bearing can be tricky). And parts are not expensive.

Lift the side of bad tire and try to wriggle the tire up and down and side to side. If so, can be bad wheel bearing.

And grab the tie rod and pull/push. If moves, bad tie rod. (it could be outer or inner).

And bad shocks can also make bad tire wear.

Basically, if car is over 130,000 miles, you will need to replace the front suspension parts.

Also, if high mileage, change the power steering pump. I did mine and it really relieved the engine power (old/bad power steering pump can sap the engine of power). Any parts attached to the drive belts (A/C compressor, power steering pump and pulley's) can sap engine power if bad.

Try to get the new Mando brand (OEM Korean brand made in Korea). I was able to get it for $60 with coupon at AdvanceAuto. It's more money now days. This can be changed at home, too, if you know how to wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts