Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi
My wife took her 2008 Kia Rondo into the dealer and had an oil change and possibly something else done.
The next time it rained (a few days later) and the warranty had about 100km remaining (99900km), she hit a puddle on a really wet day and the power steering light on the dash came on and another light. It happened for a couple of seconds and then it was fine. It has only happened to me when I took right handed turns and hit a puddle. When the lights do come on the power steering locks up for a few seconds and there is a screeching noise under the hood although hard to hear with the wipers going. The dealer looked at it and said everything was fine and they had never heard of this before, since then my wife has had it happen multiple times on wet days (usually really wet days).
I have done extensive research online and there are a couple of instances of this happening in the US. KIA Rondo Steering - 2007 KIA RONDO Problems With Steering

KIA Rondo Steering - 2007 KIA RONDO Problems With Steering

The car was fine until the dealer in Nova Scotia did that final checkup on the car before the warranty was completed. Maybe the idler tensioner got hit or something however there is no way to know or maybe the belt was going and it just seemed to go when the warranty was up :). The dealer has been very good in this situation and they are very good to deal with compared to other dealers in the past with different brands.
I don't think it is the fuel pump because it only happens in wet weather. Possibly the idler tensioner and/or the belt slipping. Maybe the alternator?

We are very afraid of highway driving and when we have our children in the car. The air conditioner bearings seem to be getting noisy (possibly the bearings) could that be putting pressure on the belts or is it the idler tensioner?
The dealer is willing to do one repair but I don't know whether we should replace the idler tensioner and the belt or replace the power steering pump. I took a video of it happening but the dealer said if they cannot duplicate the problem they cannot fix it or diagnose the problem.
I am hoping to take the car in sometime in mid December to replace the idler tensioner and the belt but I want to ensure I do some driving in the rain to ensure this is still happening before I get it fixed. i will update

·
Registered
2009 Rondo EX 4cyl
7 Posts
I have a 2009 with the 4cyl and the same problem started just before the warranty ran out earlier this year. I haven't taken it in yet, but it's been sort of a dry season and I don't drive the car everyday so i forget about the problem. Here we are in November and it rains more often now. Even the slightest puddle will wet the belts enough to loose pwr steering, A/C and alternator. I imagine the water pumps not turning either. What I have to do to get the damn belt to get traction is work the steering wheel back and forth until the water evacuates. I've been changing the oil and other routine maintenance myself since I bought the car. Each time I check all the splash guards to make sure they are secure and in place. Still looks like the day I bought it. I can't understand why this is suddenly a problem. If you take yours to the shop and they figure it out let me know please. I'll do the same. I hope to get it in the shop before Christmas.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
almost sounds like the ESC kicking in if its wet weather and possible loosing traction briefly (aquaplaning), if you can try similar conditions and with it off and see if does anything differently.
How's the condition of your tires, do you have lots of tread?

I owned a '08 Rondo for four years and had it in very heavy wet weather many times and never had any problems.

·
Registered
2009 Rondo EX 4cyl
7 Posts
It's not the ESC and I'm not hydroplaning. The power steering, A/C and alternator stop working when I go through any puddle. In other words their is no longer any power assist to the steering, the A/C stops blowing cold air and all the warning lights come on the console like the engine shut off, but it's still running. It doesn't matter if I drive through a shallow puddle at a slow/fast pace or a deep puddle at slow/fast pace. I have tires that are less than a year old with like new tread. They are 60K mile tires with 6K miles on them. I've owned my '09 for almost four years and this problem only started 10 months ago.

I've been doing alot of searching on the internet and I found a handfull of people complaining about the same thing. They also say it starts after they take it to the shop for service or sometime after they have owned it for a while. Typically they take it to the shop and the shop can't find anything wrong.

I have a theory that it might have something to do with the tires. In my case the timming is almost perfect. Right about the time I bought new tires is when my problem developed. Consider this: a new car with OEM tires doesnt seem to have a problem. However, many months later when it's time for new tires the old ones are typically replaced with non-OEM tires. The tread is likey different making the characteristics of tire different too. So, the way the non-OEM tires evacuate water is probably different. I wonder if there is a difference in spray pattern that the splash guards can't protect against which causes the serpentine belt to get wet and slip. This might explain why the shop can't find anything wrong. I can tell you that I've been under my car many times looking for something out of place, missing etc and everything looks like the day I bought it. There's nothing loose, cracked or broken.

My other theory is that new cars aren't affected simply due to of the lack of use. Maybe after more time is put on the engine the tensioner loosens or the belt becomes less tacky and it just doesn't take much water to make the belt slip.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
okay if its not what I suggested, then belts sounds like the way to go particularly when it effects all items that need belts to operate.
Is all belts at the correct tension or perhaps a belt is getting worn/cracked and slipping, check the condition of them and replace if in doubt, it wouldn't be a high expense to do that. When did you replace them last.
You theory about tires, doesn't make much sense, I wouldn't think that has any substance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I am a total noob here. I just my wife's Rondo with just over 70,000 miles and all at once the brake light and battery light came on at the same time just after I went over a small speedbump that was surrounded by water. Any thoughts since the symptoms are similar to those in the replies above?

·
Registered
1 Posts
please helpp!!!

hello

i have a kia carens 2008 model and i have exactaly the same problem in wet conditions. has anyone solved this problem please? please please help

regards

emanuel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Power Steering Failure in dry conditions on Kia Rondo 2.4L

hi
thanks for the responses. My wife informed me on Thursday that the power steering locked up again on her. This time though it wasn't raining, it was when she had to make a sharp turn and the steering wheel was as far as it would go in one direction. So there goes the theory, I am going to try to duplicate that as well this week.
I was going to get the belt and idler tensioner replaced this week but I am not so sure now. Could it be the power steering pump?

I will post if those repairs fix it though.

·
Registered
2009 Rondo EX 4cyl
7 Posts
Maybe try replacing the drive belt everyone. I changed mine out and noticed that despite the belt looking fine on the outside, the underside was sticky with grease and gum. So was the entire side of my engine block. I think someone spilled a lot of oil and managed to get some on the belt causing it to degrade rapidly. Once I changed the belt, a funny little noise I used to hear when the A/C was on is now gone. Another funny little noise I used to hear when I would give throttle from a dead stop is gone. I've driven through some puddles lately and so far so good. That used to be a problem. Even the slightest bit of water would cause me to loose steering, A/C and alternator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2007 KIA SPORTAGE battery light steering afilure

Hi;
I am super new to Kia; could somebody please and please assist me!
I was driving my 07 Kia Sporage (83K miles) and while turning sharp, my battery light came on and steering failed for a couple of seconds (30-40 seconds);
It was raining really bad, but did not know what went wrong! I brought the car for battery/alternator check, and it passed with a good standing;

Could somebody please and please assist?

I drove the car after, (for 20 miles) everything looked okay
Thanks so much

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Hi;
I am super new to Kia; could somebody please and please assist me!
I was driving my 07 Kia Sporage (83K miles) and while turning sharp, my battery light came on and steering failed for a couple of seconds (30-40 seconds);
It was raining really bad, but did not know what went wrong! I brought the car for battery/alternator check, and it passed with a good standing;
Could somebody please and please assist?
I drove the car after, (for 20 miles) everything looked okay
Thanks so much
you would get more help by posting in the appropriate forum
http://www.kia-forums.com/2g-2005-2010-sportage/

also fill out your location as vehicles are not equipped the same worldwide.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If the belt replacement doesn't fix it, try looking at the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. They have been known to separate at the rubber and slip when wet.

·
Registered
2009 Rondo EX 4cyl
7 Posts
I suspected that my belt was dirty with oil and maybe just needed to be changed. Every time I drove through even the smallest puddle of water I would loose power steering, A/C and alternator. It was getting ridiculous. So I changed the belt and it was wonderful. No more problems. However, here I am at 71K miles and it's becoming a problem again. While the car was in the shop for an A/C compressor replacement I mentioned the belt problem. They told me it all looked good and said that Kia's have a problem with their splash guards. They don't protect the belt system very well and that I should mention it to Kia customer service. I did and they basically blew me off. I'm not sure what else to say. Still, my car has been great. No car is perfect and I guess I can deal with this somewhat, but I have a nasty feeling that repeated belt slipping may have had something to do with my A/C compressor failure.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Turbo - Black / Beige
2,025 Posts
this is almost certainly water contaminating the serpentine belt and causing it to slip. When that happens you lose basically everything, alternator, steering pump A/C and perhaps water pump ( not sure if that is driven by the serpentine belt on the 2.4l)

It happened a couple of times to me with my 09 as the mileage got up there. It either needs the belt tension checked or perhaps a new belt

·
Registered
2009 Rondo EX 7 Seater. 1997 Mazda 626; 2000 VW Passat
28 Posts
Same thing is happening to me on my 2009 Rondo with 75,000 km on it. It started about a year ago, I brought it in to complain and they didn't have a clue. Happened again a few months back and they replaced a belt of some sort. Happened again this morning. Each time it was wet out with huge puddles that I have to drive through. I hear a screech and in the middle of a turn all power is lost for a few seconds and then kicks back in suddently. Very dangerous. What if I was turning on a major road with cars coming? I would get t-boned.
I will bring it back again. I'm surprised no noe has gotten into an accicent yet wiht this issue.

·
Registered
08 Rondo
4 Posts
My 08 Rondo does the same thing, I noticed the engine stays running but the serpentine belt stops when I hit a puddle. I have made this happen in the driveway by lifting the hood and putting the water hose on the belt, it stops but the engine is running.

I have changed the belt I am going to change the idler pulleys and belt tensioner to see if that's the trouble.

Is there any way to test the harmonic balancer rubber for slippage?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
water is one thing, but oil is another.
new belt might not completely fix the issue. You might want to clean all pulleys with petrol or some mineral spirits to make sure all oil is gone. How did it get there? One oily puddle is enough. Not to mention leaks on your own car.

Also, you might want to check it the power steering fluid needs to be changed. Old oil and more friction.

·
Registered
2009 Rondo EX 7 Seater. 1997 Mazda 626; 2000 VW Passat
28 Posts
So I took it back again to them a few weeks ago and they said they can't do anythign about it. That's what happens when belts get wet. I think it is a manufacturing flaw if you design a vehicle that ocassaionally has steering problems when it is wet out. One accident b/c of this and it's lawsuits all over for them. Anyone try contacting Kia head office to see if there is a fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me today with a 2007 Rondo. For the past 6-8 months, every time it rained I'd get this horrific screeching noise when turning -- though it actually started on a record hot day when the pavement was practically melting and I changed lanes on a 2-lane road - SCREECH. Otherwise, only when it rained really hard. I took it in twice (never on a rainy day) and the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Today was the 2nd day of a major rainstorm. I drove through a big puddle and I instantly lost power steering, the engine light went on, battery light -- all the stuff that happens when your car stalls, but the engine was still running. Luckily I was on a side street and just pulled over and parked (I could still steer manually though it was very stiff). It was a bit scary for sure, though.

Is the general consensus that this is a serpentine belt issue? Taking the car in tomorrow.

·
Registered
Kia carens/Rondo 2.0 crdi DPF VGT diesel
2 Posts
Hello, of course I drive a rondo problems with this failure. If you water puddles ride.
But did not want to live with it, can really be dangerous! Times. Power steering fails.
Did google translate. sorry for error!
After this improvement with 70-80km / h deep water puddles run without problems.
So take right wheel down, splash guard cover for belt down.
have taken as a broom door gap sensor.
You can also take stripe rubber.
But if the car travels there's wishbone of the moving at besten.Gummi or what I have gemommen.
Down 4cm gap is to be closed musst.Vielleich do not have to be the side !!
I hope might help ..
Am from Austria!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts