Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the best way to change a power steering belt on a my Sportage? Or maybe someone has that page of the manual. I checked on Kia's site but it just says how to change the pump. Any help woul be greatly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pulley

There is no adjustment pulley. Do I somehow loosen the bracket on the pump itself?

·
Registered
177 Posts
i got these from the change timming belt off of kias sportage manuel online. and they should help out.

Loosen the A/C idler puller nut(A).

15.Remove the A/C drive belt by loosening the adjusting bolt.
16.Loosen the power steering pump lock bolt and mounting bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Sportage has air con, and I cannot see how to get the power steering belt off with the Air con idler bracket in the way, there does not seem to be enough space between the Power Steering pump pully and the air con idler bracket to get the PS belt off.
Any suggestions, anybody done this with the aircon gear in place??

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got these from the change timming belt off of kias sportage manuel online. and they should help out.

Loosen the A/C idler puller nut(A).

15.Remove the A/C drive belt by loosening the adjusting bolt.
16.Loosen the power steering pump lock bolt and mounting bolt.
Thats the Alternator in the picture... Not the Power Steering.

I myself cant seem to find the adjustment bolt for the Power Steering to tighten the belt. Though I will probably find it by the time anyone posts... Please do so anyway so future searches will find it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I guess you found out that there isn't one. Those pictures don't show the power steering belt. Its the third belt and the closest one to the engine. the power steering pump is right underneath and behind the AC compressor. You have to loosen the top bolt on the pumps adjustable slider and the botom bolt holding it to the bracket mount. When these two bolts are losened you pivot the pump out untill there is tension on the belt. Not too much tension or you will burn out your pumps pully. If you have A.C. Its a baziotch to get to so I hope you have small hands. If you need a little leverage on the pump while you tighten it down, you can use a long screw driver to hold it over while you tighten the bracket down. Be carefull not to lever against an AC line or Steering fluid line, you don't want to put a crease in any of those. good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power Steering Belt

Access can be improved by removing:-

1. Air intake Duct
2. Cooling Fan
3. Fan Shroud

Adjustment is limited and because of the work involved its probably best to fit a new belt.

·
Registered
330 Posts
power steering

When I bought my Sportage, the PS belt was in really bad shape. After I got the new one installed, I was surprised:) at the nice power steering that it had.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Access can be improved by removing:-

1. Air intake Duct
2. Cooling Fan
3. Fan Shroud

Adjustment is limited and because of the work involved its probably best to fit a new belt.
I am in the middle of changing a timing belt and I agree with you in removal of everything. It is a pain to get to and Baratacus was spot on with the how to and small hands!!!

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess you found out that there isn't one. Those pictures don't show the power steering belt. Its the third belt and the closest one to the engine. the power steering pump is right underneath and behind the AC compressor. You have to loosen the top bolt on the pumps adjustable slider and the botom bolt holding it to the bracket mount. When these two bolts are losened you pivot the pump out untill there is tension on the belt. Not too much tension or you will burn out your pumps pully. If you have A.C. Its a baziotch to get to so I hope you have small hands. If you need a little leverage on the pump while you tighten it down, you can use a long screw driver to hold it over while you tighten the bracket down. Be carefull not to lever against an AC line or Steering fluid line, you don't want to put a crease in any of those. good luck!
HELLO how did u reach this top lock adjusting bolt? please describe what tools you use and if u had a lift or used a breaker bar or extension..I cannot seem to reach it..no lift here..ac compressor in the way of that top power steering bolt that adjusts on slider..also, what size is that bolt..thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts