Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any way to bring power in through the firewall in my 05 Spectra5. I've hunted high and low (and side to side, lol) and can't find a single place to sneak a power wire through.

It appears that all the factory wiring goes through a hole dead center in the firewall, which is subsequently attached to a tube that directs the wires to the left and right sides - and is too tight to pass anything else through.

I'd prefer not to drill it if I can get away with it, but I think I'm at my wits end! If anyone has any experience, or better yet a picture of how they did theirs, I'd appreciate it much!

One last question. I'm not a huge audio guy, so I thought I'd ask this before doing it all. I have two amps I'm going to be using (4ch and 1ch). I'm using a 4guage wire from the battery to a fused distro block - but I'm not sure where to locate it. Is it better to put the distro block under the hood, and run two cables through the firewall to the amps, or to place the distro block under the dash and run the power to each amp from there?

Thanks guys!

Devin

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my Kia Spectra 5 (technically have not even picked it up yet, but I have bought it). I can't help with the first question but as to the second question. You want to run as little wire as needed to limit the chance of shorts or cuts(not to mention cable cost). Put the distro block in back as close to the back as amps while still looking decent and being practical.
I know my audio stuff, I have done MANY installations(25+) never with any fires or other major problems not cause by the owner. I also have 4 years of training in Electrical Engineering at the local technical school. I also frequent many forums like elitecaraudio.com and clubgp.com(my previous car was a 1992 Grand prix) both of which I have high post counts with actural useful posts.

Ray Koons

PS. THe second half of this sounded really snotty which I didn't want to do. I was just telling you why I feel I am competinent in answereing your questions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Originally posted by Pinchy@Aug 6 2005, 04:24 AM
One last question. I'm not a huge audio guy, so I thought I'd ask this before doing it all. I have two amps I'm going to be using (4ch and 1ch). I'm using a 4guage wire from the battery to a fused distro block - but I'm not sure where to locate it. Is it better to put the distro block under the hood, and run two cables through the firewall to the amps, or to place the distro block under the dash and run the power to each amp from there?
To do things correctly/"by the book" your fuse should be as close to the power source (battery) as possible so that any cable damage that may occur will be after the fuse and cause it to blow without damaging anything else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts