Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are your mirrors fold/open exactly at the same time? Because mine doesn't.
The left side or the driver side is slightly delayed by like 1/3 of a second.

I know it's not much but as OC as I am, when I watch it unfold and fold again I can't shrug the fact that it doesn't perfectly close at the same time! :(

Any of you experience these?

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
I had this happen. Wasn't a big issue.

The motors are just a little different, thats all.
That, and they seem to receive the signals at different times.

The responsiveness actually seemed to improve when I pushed the mirrors all the way forwards, then used the button to bring them back in.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX AWD Titanium
28 Posts
THANK GOODNESS I'm not the only one who notices this. I thought my car was either defective or I was a nit-picky little bastard. Annoys me too.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
just for reference

both my left and right folds / open in sync

or the delay is so minuscule i don't notice it from the front of the car

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
none of my neighbors have folding mirrors, so I spend extra time in the morning flapping them like wings...!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a Kia tech and every Kia that I have ever worked on the folding mirrors do not finish folding or unfolding at exactly the same time. The motors won't be exactly the same speed thats all. Nothing to worry about. Also to (Mysticality) it is not good to unfold the mirrors by hand because you knock them off of the track they are on. You will here a snap or pop when you push the button after moving them manually. This could just cause problems later on.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
I am a Kia tech and every Kia that I have ever worked on the folding mirrors do not finish folding or unfolding at exactly the same time. The motors won't be exactly the same speed thats all. Nothing to worry about. Also to (Mysticality) it is not good to unfold the mirrors by hand because you knock them off of the track they are on. You will here a snap or pop when you push the button after moving them manually. This could just cause problems later on.
Oh! that reminds me .....

If you guys go into a Car Wash MAKE SURE TO FOLD IN THE MIRRORS, before you get into the Auto Washer at the Pumps

last time (first wash of the SUV since i picked up from the dealer) i went it almost killed my mirrors

I was so afraid it was going to damage the motor/tracks of the auto folding system.

So, after that time, now I always make sure to click the little button to fold the mirrors in, before heading into the car wash

·
Registered
2013 KIA Sorento SX
30 Posts
I have a 2013 Sorento. Does the side mirrors automatically fold when you park the vehicle? Because it happened once to me but after that, no more..

Also, will the side mirror's motor get damaged if you fold them manually?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2013 Sorento. Does the side mirrors automatically fold when you park the vehicle? Because it happened once to me but after that, no more..

What trim do you have? Mine is the SX so the power fold mirror comes as standard.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
783 Posts
If you have folding mirrors the drivers door also has a button to fold and unfold the mirrors...just in front of the door lock button.

·
Registered
Sorento SX 2013
237 Posts
I have an SX. Can the power mirrors be folded by hand with damaging the motor?
this was posted a few massages above

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento SX V6
49 Posts

If you place the power mirror switch in the neutral position, they'll fold in automatically. If you leave the switch in the L or R position, they won't.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ Let me get this clear. The power folding of the mirrors will happen if you:

- press the power fold button on top of the power mirrors adjustment
- press the lock button on the fob AGAIN right after you pressed it once to lock your car

This is whether you leave the switch on L or R or middle, it doesn't matter really.
The issue here is they don't fold exactly at the same time.

And they don't fold automatically when you park the vehicle (i.e. shifting from D to P)

·
Registered
SWP 2012 Sorento SX AWD
39 Posts
That's exactly how the folding mirrors SHOULD be designed. So, if I read this thread correctly:
  • Leaving the 'mirror adjust' to the left or right allows for the 'Reverse Parking Aid' (mirrors move downward to help in backing).
  • Leaving the 'mirror adjust' in the center allows for 'folding mirrors', only after you hit the keyfob twice.
  • ...remember the sequence of events
...an Adult actually programmed the mirrors to react like this? Seems counter-intuitive. To me, it 'should' be: adjust your mirrors left/right and return the mirror adjust to center. The Reverse Parking Aid and the Folding Mirrors work on the center. No need to hit your keyfob twice, just hit lock and they fold in. Unlock, they fold out.
I might be willing to shell out the 75.00 to see if the K5 module works - if - it fixes the 'mirror adjust' issue (doubtful). I'll email the K5 guys and see if this might work on my Sorento.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 Sorento SX AWD
39 Posts
I'll email the K5 guys and see if this might work on my Sorento.
Received a response (fairly quick - it's me that's late in posting):

K5AutoMirror said:
Hello and thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately at this time we only offer this module for the Kia Optima. However one could always just splice the wiring and make it work for other Kia models. This module has nothing to do with mirror adjustment. All it does is fold in the mirrors when the door is locked and unfold when the doors are unlocked. Hope this helps clear things up..
So, that was the theory. Oh well, the older I get, the more I don't worry about. I think this will be one of them. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts