Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking around at some 'tune up' boxes...

they plug inline and re-chip the engine without actually re chipping the standard CDi unit

they claim 25% power increase and Torque increase, and reduction in MPG as the engine isn't revving as hard

has anyone fitted one?

is it worth it?

and which one would you recommend?

these two units claim the same thing but are about £60 different in price?!?!?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...7979597855&rd=1

I'll trust your judgement and advice :crying: ;) :thumbsup: B)

cheers
RB

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok,...I did the decent thing and did a search for previous post about this.

some good feedback there ( I searched for 'chip')

But the final outcome is still un decided?!

so,...do I fit one or not?
:( :( :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
RB,
I bought one of the the second ones you listed about 3 weeks ago. Turns out that the guy stays around 70 miles from me so I went to his house to pick it up. It was fitted there and then and took about 5 or 6 minutes to fit. Just take off the plastic engine cover (2 x 10mm bolts and 3 x 10mm nuts); then plug in the box to the plug on the top of the diesel rail. Cost me £120 cash. Not sure how much extra power there is but its certainly noticeable. The box is adjustable and I have it at the highest setting. I dont feel a big difference in full throttle performane but part throttle pick up is greatly improved. I tow a 1600kg twin axle caravan and you really notice a difference when towing. Holds higher gears much better. Mpg was around 32-34 before fitting and when trying to drive similarly and not use the extra performance, its been around 2-3mpg better over a couple of tankfulls.
Would certainly recommend it.
Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2.5 diesel Sorento but what I've noticed is that your diesel units are tagged as CDI while mine is CRDI. What's the difference? Will the performance module also work for this engine type. My dad has one Sorento in Europe and I own one here in Asia. I want to increase my hp too! :gunsmilie:

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
64 Posts
Boyo, which brand did you buy and installed in your sorento 2.5CRDi?Is the setting for this tuning kit differ if it's installed in an asian Sorento? Please advise

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a chip from Dragon Performance uk Ltd recommended by another forum member and I can highly recommend this.
I would not say that you get a great increase in fuel economy but in torque yes, makes the car even more of a brute for towing, plenty of extra muscle and as mine is a 5 speed auto changing up and staying in a higher gear is far better which is great when towing, also not slow away from a standing start and makes the car even more fun to drive.
Takes all of 5 minutes to fit or remove when going in for a service, don't forget warranty and insurance ;)
You can get dragon on [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts