Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking closely at a new-to-me Sorrento purchase, used, 2016+. Been eyeing 2019's for the 8 speed auto and the improved fuel economy,

Shooting for an EX, want a V6, 3 rows and leather as its generally easier to keep clean...apart from that I don't thing I'm looking for any must have features that don't seem to be included.

So, I figured the best thing to do is ask some owners. How do you find the Sorento to be long term? What are the weak points? What do I need to pay careful attention to when examining a used one? How is the DIY maintenance on them, at least the basics like fluid changes, brake jobs, etc? Outside of warranty work, I try to do as much of my own maintenance as possible and tend to keep my cars until they're at least paid off, ideally a year or so longer. Typically run up around 200k miles in most of my recent vehicles.

Thanks very much in advance!

Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
Been looking closely at a new-to-me Sorrento purchase, used, 2016+. Been eyeing 2019's for the 8 speed auto and the improved fuel economy,

Shooting for an EX, want a V6, 3 rows and leather as its generally easier to keep clean...apart from that I don't thing I'm looking for any must have features that don't seem to be included.

So, I figured the best thing to do is ask some owners. How do you find the Sorento to be long term? What are the weak points? What do I need to pay careful attention to when examining a used one? How is the DIY maintenance on them, at least the basics like fluid changes, brake jobs, etc? Outside of warranty work, I try to do as much of my own maintenance as possible and tend to keep my cars until they're at least paid off, ideally a year or so longer. Typically run up around 200k miles in most of my recent vehicles.

Welcome to the forum

I am the owner of a brand new 2019 Sorento (now has 3300 miles) bought back in February.

I like the car, but do wish I didn't have to deal with some intermittent hesitation that may or may not be caused by the 8spd transmission. Just something to consider.

I can tell you that corporate does a fine job making sure the owners are happy with their cars, but it is disappointing having to feel that sort of hesitation from a brand new car. It almost feels like water in the gas line.

I have also noticed that the paint is very sensitive, it will get scratches if you stare at it for too long. But now im just being picky 馃槂

As for major shortfalls, you mentioned 3 row seats which tells me you're hauling kiddos around like me. With the 3rd row seats up you literally have enough cargo depth left to barely fit a row of milk jugs, Nothing more. I had to install a hitch mounted carrier to haul groceries and things when the kids are with us.

Looking back at things now and knowing what I now know, I would have probably been a bit more satisfied with a Telluride, a little bigger and let's face it, Looks pretty good too.

But then again, there aren't many used Tellurides out there and that's mostly because their owners really like em.

I've seen owners in this forum pushing their KIAs over 200k so i think with good maintenance you should be just fine, I'm just not sure yet if the 8spd will last that long, some are seeing failures within the first year or two of ownership (although cause is not confirmed)

Hope this helps

Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
I usually take my cars to 200-300k miles, so similar to you. I would say the JD Power ratings for the 2016 are generally correct. I think the calipers they use are cheap (and can seize up prematurely), but the engine and transmission seem good.

The primary weak point imo is simply the way the direct injection system works. If you don't treat the carbon buildup through the air intake regularly, it will just keep building (unlike older non-GDI cars) and the engine will run rough and hesitate. But the intake treatment is easy to do, even by yourself, and it's cheap. I'm now at 90k, and I would honestly say the thing runs just as good as the day I bought it (back in 2016).

Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
I usually take my cars to 200-300k miles, so similar to you. I would say the JD Power ratings for the 2016 are generally correct. I think the calipers they use are cheap (and can seize up prematurely), but the engine and transmission seem good.

The primary weak point imo is simply the way the direct injection system works. If you don't treat the carbon buildup through the air intake regularly, it will just keep building (unlike older non-GDI cars) and the engine will run rough and hesitate. But the intake treatment is easy to do, even by yourself, and it's cheap. I'm now at 90k, and I would honestly say the thing runs just as good as the day I bought it (back in 2016).
Really good point

By any chance can you tell me where I can find detailed steps on cleaning the carbon buildups through the air intake? I saw sone youtube videos but they required locating certain lines and many removals.

Your help is appreciated 馃檪

Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
Really good point

By any chance can you tell me where I can find detailed steps on cleaning the carbon buildups through the air intake? I saw sone youtube videos but they required locating certain lines and many removals.

Your help is appreciated 馃檪
Sure, I'll make a new thread, for the sake of forum cleanliness.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I'm a current VW owner, so no stranger to carbon buildup. I've never tried the air intake cleaning method as it seemed snake-oily to me. I recently disassembled my intake and did a manual cleaning (I had to get in there to replace an injector that was stuck open anyway).

Re: 3rd row, its for overflow purposes, the two older kids are in the learner's permit age now, just the young guy to cart around now.

We currently have an 07 Dodge Durango, so the storage with the third row up is definitely familiar territory for me.

Not encouraged to hear about hesitations...is the 8 speed auto a torque converter auto or a dual clutch box? I'm under the impression its a true auto, which I strongly prefer after living with a DCT in my VW and living with the hesitations that creates. Anyone with a V-6 and a 6 speed auto experience this? Anyone else with an 8 speed auto notice it too?

Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
Not encouraged to hear about hesitations
Yeah, if you're used to a Durango, I honestly don't think you'll be terribly happy with the Sorento in terms of performance. The Durango was one of the other cars I was looking at when shopping around, and the one I test drove was definitely superior in terms of automatic shifting. It was just ultimately too expensive, so I went with the Sorento. I will say however, that if you keep it sport mode and manually shift, the V6 performs very well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Not worried about performance too much, the Durango is a fair bit heavier than the Kia and we don't have the Hemi engine, so the power is actually 55hp less than the Sorento V6.

Agreed on the cost of a Durango though, they're ludicrous these days. Nice truck, but not THAT nice...at least not to me...but I'm cheap and expect way too much value for my dollar to be living in 2020.

Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
The 8-speed automatic transmission is a torque converter.

Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
I have the V6 and 6-spd and have noticed the hesitation at start. almost as if the wheels are being held back / braked. the dealer service guy told me this phenomenon is seen on the Stinger as well - Kia "dumbs down" things to avoid lawsuits (from cars that go so fast people cant control them??).

I've only used Eco and Standard modes on the Sorento but suspect (as @rejesterd said) if it is in Sport mode the V6 wont hesitate. but then you lose on fuel efficiency. once you are past 30 kmph (20mph?) you dont notice the hesitation. Hope this helps

Thanks guys.

I'm a current VW owner, so no stranger to carbon buildup. I've never tried the air intake cleaning method as it seemed snake-oily to me. I recently disassembled my intake and did a manual cleaning (I had to get in there to replace an injector that was stuck open anyway).

Re: 3rd row, its for overflow purposes, the two older kids are in the learner's permit age now, just the young guy to cart around now.

We currently have an 07 Dodge Durango, so the storage with the third row up is definitely familiar territory for me.

Not encouraged to hear about hesitations...is the 8 speed auto a torque converter auto or a dual clutch box? I'm under the impression its a true auto, which I strongly prefer after living with a DCT in my VW and living with the hesitations that creates. Anyone with a V-6 and a 6 speed auto experience this? Anyone else with an 8 speed auto notice it too?

Registered

Keep sites like this one in mind: 2012 Kia Sorento Catastrophic Engine Failure

Good Luck!!!

Registered
2018 Kia Optima FE 2.4L
simply. if you can afford new do it, its the only way to get the LOOONG warranty

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL front wheel drive v6 auto
If you are thinking about a 2016 make sure you check out the steering on a good long stretch of highway. I had to have the whole steering section replaced on my 2016 Sorento SXL at 67,000 miles. The estimate was for 4500.00 dollars. The steering wheel feels like its in a notch and when you move it, it over corrects..I was all over the road. Since being replaced it drive live a new car shoild.

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL

Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
If you are thinking about a 2016 make sure you check out the steering on a good long stretch of highway. I had to have the whole steering section replaced on my 2016 Sorento SXL at 67,000 miles. The estimate was for 4500.00 dollars. The steering wheel feels like its in a notch and when you move it, it over corrects..I was all over the road. Since being replaced it drive live a new car shoild.
I had the steering column issue on my 2016 replaced under warranty... But it was going to be around $1,200.

Registered
2018 Kia Optima FE 2.4L
as i noted buying NEW is a good move if you can do it $$$$, just get a less optioned model + DONT be afraid to go to bigger out of town dealers that deal more than the locals.

Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
Trying to DIY add options you wish you had after the fact is a total PITA. You'll see plenty of threads on that here. Make sure you're getting the options that are actually important to you, but don't go cheap and put yourself through a ton of work later. Some options are too much to install after the fact (e.g., power lift gate) both in terms of price and time.

Registered
2018 Kia Optima FE 2.4L
manufacturers make more % on options, buy them if you like BUT many are NOT needed or used your $$$

1 - 20 of 26 Posts