Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post here. I have been shopping for a used vehicle for the last two weeks. Test drove a variety of cars from Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and the Kia Soul. Ended up test driving a Sorento and just fell in love with it. It is a 2011 LX 4 cyl. with 25K miles and build date of May 18th, 2010.

In doing research, I saw the multiple threads regarding the transmission issues and recall, which has me a bit concerned but also confused. According to NHTSA #11V258000 intermediate shaft issue affects 4cyl automatic vehicles built from start of production thru May 22, 2010.

When I called Kia customer service and they ran the VIN, it showed all recalls were performed on the vehicle, however the recall in question was not. CS stated that this vehicle was not part of the recall, and that only the XM models were. Further googling (and this forum) revealed that XM is the chassis code for all Sorentos of this generation. Figuring I got a newbie CS the first time, I made two more calls to CS and they continued to confirm that this vehicle is not part of the recall campaign.

My question is why wasn't this vehicle part of the campaign, based upon the build date and configuration. I'm also looking for input from owners who have the same build configuration and year, to chime in whether they have ever had any transmission issues. I've got 35K miles left on the warranty, which will be used up in two years and don't want to run into any surprises when the warranty expires.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,724 Posts
All recalls are based off the vin#. If yours does not fall in the range, then it is not part of the recall. It's not just year and engine. But month day and where and how it was built.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts