Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Accent
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had a 2012 Hyundai Accent hatch since they first came out. I've been asking Hyundai to come out with a turbo version since the engine bay is identical to the veloster, so it would be fairly simple to create a turbo version. Anyway, my girlfriend is looking at the 2014 Soul, so I was checking out the Kia site and noticed that the new 2014 Forte hatch SX would be offered with the veloster turbo's engine! So now I'm considering ending the lease on my Accent early to get the new Forte, depending on price and cost to terminate the lease early.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this new Forte turbo hatch. I know it's no Mazdaspeed 3 or GTI, but it must be more fun than the 1.6L in the Accent. I love the Accent, but it just isn't much fun to drive with the 138HP.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
how do you know its not comparable to the Mazdaspeed 3 or GTI, its not available yet and no comparison tests have been done, so nobody knows for sure, you maybe right but who knows?

The 2014 Soul comes with a larger engine 2.0L GDI at 164 hp. Kia is setting its sites on the Elantra GT for direct competition with the Forte 5, as well as any other hatchback in the compact segment.

·
Registered
2012 Hyundai Accent
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering the speed3 and gti have more hp the forte5 would have to be quite a bit lighter to make up for that.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I wasn't aware of that on the Mazdaspeed 3, but the GTI is about the same (200 hp)

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Really? I thought the GTI was closer to 250hp.
got my info from here:
2013 VW GTI Trims & Specs - Volkswagen of America

but the GTI does have a slight advantage as its a 2.0L engine
200 hp @ 5100
207 lb. ft. @ 1700
curb weight: 3034 lbs

Forte 5 1.6L turbo
201 hp @ 6000
195 lb. ft. @ 1750-4500
curb weight: 2912-3122 lbs

they are both about the same height (5 - 57.1 vs 57.8), about the same width. Forte 5 is about 5" longer, but also has a 5" longer wheelbase and larger passenger volume as well as larger trunk room (seats up) by 8 cu. ft.

Interesting the Forte 5 has a one foot tighter turning circle than the GTI
EPA figures on the GTI are 21 and 31 mpg, but no figures yet on the 5. Premium fuel is recommended on the GTI (if not reduced power), but the 5 only requires regular.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts