Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our 2009 Boreggo to Jiffy Lube because we were in a hurry and man that was a mistake. Everything was running fine before the oil change, and after the oil change the engine misfired and the check engine light came on. We towed it to a Kia dealership and they say we need a new engine.

Question: We love the vehicle and we would like to keep it or we may have to trade it in. We wan't to buy a Travel RV however it will only pull up to 5000 pounds on a V6 which we have. A V8 will pull 7500 pounds which is more stable. My question is based on the circumstances on changing out the engine. Can you swap a V6 to a V8 using the same parts in there now? Or would there have to be a complete overhaul changing transmission etc?

I would be willing to pay the extra to get a v8 if its just a swap but if not then i will get the new engine and then trade it in. I would like to get another new Kia but they don't have vehicles that can pull up to 7500 pounds?

thanks for your time

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
The transmission, wiring harnesses, and all related equipment is different, not to mention extremely expensive(transmission alone is $10k).

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
We took our 2009 Boreggo to Jiffy Lube because we were in a hurry and man that was a mistake. Everything was running fine before the oil change, and after the oil change the engine misfired and the check engine light came on. We towed it to a Kia dealership and they say we need a new engine.

Question: We love the vehicle and we would like to keep it or we may have to trade it in. We wan't to buy a Travel RV however it will only pull up to 5000 pounds on a V6 which we have. A V8 will pull 7500 pounds which is more stable. My question is based on the circumstances on changing out the engine. Can you swap a V6 to a V8 using the same parts in there now? Or would there have to be a complete overhaul changing transmission etc?

I would be willing to pay the extra to get a v8 if its just a swap but if not then i will get the new engine and then trade it in. I would like to get another new Kia but they don't have vehicles that can pull up to 7500 pounds?

thanks for your time
FIRST THING, Sue the crap out of Jiffy lube for the cost of a new motor, that's inexcusable!

SECOND, not worth the expense to convert to a V8, it'll be more than the value of the truck...

·
Registered
GSXR1000, Aprilia SXV550, Aprilia RSV4 Factory
146 Posts
Borrego V6 to V8 swap

Ditto on the engine/trans swap. Not practical at all. The components (engine, trans, wiring harness, accessories etc. are cost prohibitive, then, you throw in the cost of labor.
Now, if it was already a V8, I would consider using the Genesis 385HP or 429HP Tau R-Spec engine. That would make the Borrego just about the "baddest" SUV on the block. (just dreaming)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts