Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Kia Rio S which has the 1.4l engine in auto. whilst I really like the car, I would not mind more power.

My question is, would it be possible to install the 1.6L turbo engine which is in the Veloster into my Rio including Auto tranny? Would the car be able to handle the 150kW of power?

if this would be possible, what cost am I looking at roughly? $10k ?

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Buy the Veloster and save your money - or wait for the Kia Pro-cee'd GT that's supposed to be coming out way.
With current Aussie car modification laws you'd probably never get an engine swap like that registered for road use anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
With current Aussie car modification laws you'd probably never get an engine swap like that registered for road use anyway.
What a disappointment for Australia. Here in the state of Ohio in NE US, I'm trying to put a '65 289 into a '05 Mustang. The engineering is easy. Getting around the emission laws is killing the project.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
The car will easily handle the power, we just have an 8mm difference in the chassis. Same chassis in all FWD Hyundia/Kia just stretched or shortened for each segment.

The biggest issue in the process is heat. The Rio generates a lot of heat as is and with our front overhang ot being much it limits the amount of options we can take with cooling. You may try fitting one up to a Lamiflow cannister type intercooler as they are designed to work with engine bay constraints.

As for legality. Get it engineered if you want to drive it around and register it. Over the Veloster and Pro Ceed GT we have a weight advantage.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses ... can anyone recommend a reputable workshop in Sydney that would be up for this project ?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Have you already looked at the option of just adding a turbo to the existing engine?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,516 Posts
Or trading it in on a FASTER car?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I can't see you doing the job for $10,000 if you're planning to use a new engine. How are the brakes on the Rio? As mentioned, heat dissipation will be an issue. Remember seeing pictures of early Audi A8 test-beds totally on fire?

If you have plenty of money and want a hot Rio, anything is possible, but I don't imagine anyone will care, outside a very select group of enthusiasts.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Cost wise your looking at around $4k excluding fitting. Its cheaper to turbo than to supercharge as components are cheaper and fitting them is pretty basic. Its the tuning part that will cost the most.

You will need an oil cooler and transmission cooler. Oil cooler will reduce heat going through the engine and the transmission cooler will reduce the strain on your box. You can get universal kits, they do the job just as good. The oil kit can be done on a regular oil change. Best time to do it.

You will need to get hold of an exhaust manifold, options you can have are one for the Optima Turbo or Veloster Turbo. Maintec in Korea will have one. Plumbing you can take the Optima Turbo set up as they are easier to get hold of.

You may need to look at shaving our inner front bar to get yourself some more room to fit all the coolers in. Advantage of using the 1.4 is less tec to deal with. Will also need new injectors too

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
added to that^^ you'll need to investigate what the auto box is load rated to, and get it reprogrammed as the 6A in the rio is set up for economy, not performance. Most manufacturers will use a stronger version of their auto box for any turbo variant. As TJ said, you'd need a trans cooler but even that won't help if the box is significantly weaker and you're having too much fun with the 1.6T. It's a lot of work to be honest, and then you'd need to get it engineered unless you want HWP to pull you over and yellow-sticker it. Then if you've got any money left after that, you can put a full tank in it and enjoy it.

Or buy a Veloster Turbo.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If he does the 1.4 instead of the 1.6 it will be easier and less expensive in the long run. The S has around 80kw, throwing a turbo on will get it around the 110-115kw mark. The larger 1.6 already comes in at 103kw an extra 10kw over that wont be putting too much additional strain on the Rio. If we have the same auto across the Rio range and taking in to consideration how far Kia tune their cars you can get put an extra 20% power into them before you start running into trouble.

We dont need to be putting crazy amounts of power into the little Kia to get fun out of it. 115-130 would be enough for it. The Rio is light, small and has low drivetrain loss. Another option would be swapping to the larger 2.0 engines in the i30 and new Cerato

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
the manual has bugger all drivetrain loss but the auto saps a good 2 seconds off the 0-100 by most reports

a turbo'd 1.4 would be interesting, but again the tune would need to be able to re-program the gearbox as well to change the shift pattern/firmness and get rid of the programmed-in lag.. but yes you'd imagine 115kw wouldn't strain it all that much. I always think of bigger numbers than that as i'm a bit insane when it comes to getting 'more power' :p

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
The 1.4 would be a good base to turbo as it is fairly ordinary in terms of layout. It has a simpler injection system and lower compression to start. The 1.6 would be problematic. It is higher compression (probably too high for a turbo of any sort) is direct injection so options are limited if you need to change the injectors to cope.

I would wait and see if a Turbo Rio is created. Going by previous internet articles and Kia rumours, its going to happen eventually. Probably a detuned version of the Veloster Turbo motor.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The 1.4 would be a good base to turbo as it is fairly ordinary in terms of layout. It has a simpler injection system and lower compression to start. The 1.6 would be problematic. It is higher compression (probably too high for a turbo of any sort) is direct injection so options are limited if you need to change the injectors to cope.

I would wait and see if a Turbo Rio is created. Going by previous internet articles and Kia rumours, its going to happen eventually. Probably a detuned version of the Veloster Turbo motor.
i'd be sad to see them do anything at all different to the Veloster T motor. I think both cars would have their place in the hot hatch market with the same motor and tune.

and yes the Veloster T motor has a 9.5:1 ratio while the standard Gamma 3 1.6 has 11:1. So short of grinding your pistons to pieces, you'd want to run very low boost if putting a snail on the 1.6

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some great input guys and thank you for all the thoughts and suggestions.

Would the 4 speed auto be able to handle the turbo on the 1.4 ? Or would it need to be updated? I agree the auto slushbox is reeeeeally slow.

Has anyone attempted to put a turbo on the 1.4 or would I be the test monkey ?

How much “quicker” would the car feel over the 1.6? I test drove it the other day and one can definitely feel more punch vs my 1.4. I know, should have bought the SLS but too late to change now.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Some great input guys and thank you for all the thoughts and suggestions.

Would the 4 speed auto be able to handle the turbo on the 1.4 ? Or would it need to be updated? I agree the auto slushbox is reeeeeally slow.

Has anyone attempted to put a turbo on the 1.4 or would I be the test monkey ?

How much “quicker” would the car feel over the 1.6? I test drove it the other day and one can definitely feel more punch vs my 1.4. I know, should have bought the SLS but too late to change now.
The auto is the killer here, you have less power at the wheels compared to manual gearbox. Have you thought about learning to drive a manual? For some reason the Rio manual cars suffer very little drivetrain loss which is great. The autos and torque converter are fairly typical though and cause quite a drop of power once it has reached the wheels.

Torque is the killer of gearboxes and transmissions, but I can't imagine you would be running enough boost on a stock engine to worry about it. I would be more worried about the CV's, driveshafts, and pistons going pop before the transmission or gearbox.

My honest opinion (coming from experience) is to not worry about modifying your Rio to such an extent. Save your money and get something faster down the track. Perhaps that Rio GT that might show up one day :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts