Kia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 2017 Sportage LX does not have Android Auto. While in the shop recently, I was loaned a 2021 Seltos which has Android Auto and I really liked the feature. I see where there are updates for the 2017 Sportage, but none of the dash display pictures look like mine. Just wondering if it is possible to add AA.

On a side note, I was recently rear ended on the highway by a Dodge Caravan doing about 80 KMH when he hit me. I have to say, the Sportage took the hit quite well. I was able to drive away without major damage ($8200 according to the repair invoice) while the Caravan had to be towed.

Max

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
308 Posts
If you have the 7-inch headunit I'd say it's worth exploring the possibility of updates but if it's not that then it's probably time to look into replacing the headunit and what that would entail.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage LX FWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the 7-inch headunit I'd say it's worth exploring the possibility of updates but if it's not that then it's probably time to look into replacing the headunit and what that would entail.
I don't even see anything in the menu's for updating so I'm guessing it's a no go. It was my daughter-in-laws lease vehicle so probably not wanted at the time.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L
308 Posts
Well, it could be buried behind a "secret" function, but first order of business would be making sure you know what headunit you already have - maybe you could share a photo of what it looks like or an identical vehicle online?

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte GT2
133 Posts
What I found.

"Following up on earlier news that it would add support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay apps to its 2017 Sportage SUV and 2016 Optima sedan, the automaker has now announced additional compatibility for several other 2014-2017 models in the Kia family. The expanded list of eligible vehicles will now include the 2017 Forte, 2015-2016 Optima/Optima Hybrid, 2015-2016 Sedona minivan, 2014-2016 Soul and 2015-2016 Soul EV as well as the 2016 Sorento. Models must be equipped with a compatible navigation system or UVO3 telematics to download and install the free software updates to bring Android Auto or Apple CarPlay on board for use with a suitable smartphone."

·
Registered
2017 Sportage EX
1,840 Posts
What I found.

"Following up on earlier news that it would add support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay apps to its 2017 Sportage SUV and 2016 Optima sedan, the automaker has now announced additional compatibility for several other 2014-2017 models in the Kia family. The expanded list of eligible vehicles will now include the 2017 Forte, 2015-2016 Optima/Optima Hybrid, 2015-2016 Sedona minivan, 2014-2016 Soul and 2015-2016 Soul EV as well as the 2016 Sorento. Models must be equipped with a compatible navigation system or UVO3 telematics to download and install the free software updates to bring Android Auto or Apple CarPlay on board for use with a suitable smartphone."

This has been available for a while. Unless you have an EX with tech package or an SX, you can't update your unit as you don't have an SD card slot. Your best alternative is to get a head unit upgrade and kit from Crutchfield if they are available. If not, you're stuck with a phone holder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wanting to keep it oem. i made a post about it. that said im about to say hell with it and go aftermarket.
That would be your best bet! I have the exact same 5” head unit that you have and if I were to stay OEM, it’d be stupid expensive (like a dash for the proper head unit, proper wiring harness and the whole nine yards..).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts