Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2011 LX 2.4L used with 27k miles just last month. Got the 5yr 100k mile warranty as well.

Noticed almost from day one that when the car slows down, normally when under 30mph, there is a distinct whine/whirling coming from the engine/trans. Its not really loud, but it is noticable.

I found a recall for my year model, with the exact problem im having, but according to the dealer, that recall isnt on my car??

Here is the details...

Recall ID # 90363 - POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFT Hide Details
Recall Date:
APR 25, 2011
Model Affected:
2011 Kia Sorento
Summary:
KIA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 SORENTO 2WD VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS AND 2.4L ENGINES MANUFACTURED FROM THE START OF PRODUCTION THROUGH MAY 22, 2010. THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT MAY SUFFER FROM NOISE AND EXCESSIVE WEAR DUE TO A MISALIGNMENT OF THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT WITH THE RIGHT SIDE OUTPUT GEAR. CONTINUING TO DRIVE THE VEHICLE IN THIS CONDITION LEADS TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF A WHIRRING/WHINING NOISE AND CAN EVENTUALLY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.
Consequences:
DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION MAY CAUSE LOSS OF MOTIVE POWER, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE RIGHT SIDE OUTPUT GEAR AND INTERMEDIATE SHAFT FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MAY 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KIA AT 1-800-333-4542.
Potential Units Affected:

Is there a way to check what recalls have been fixxed on the car thus far, and what other recalls may still be there? He did mention that there has already been 2 fixes on my car, one in 2010 for a seat belt, the other for front spings in 2011.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
What's the production date on your car? It's on the plate on the driver's side door jamb. Seems like that would answer your question right there.

Best,

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,422 Posts
The recall does't affect ALL 2011's, the dealership ran your vin# and your kia does not fall into the recall. If you would like me to double check, PM me the last 8 of your vin, and I'll run it myself.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
This is very reminiscent of a problem experienced on some early build 4 cylinder 2011 Sorento's.

A bracket on the engine was causing misalignment of the shaft, leading to clunking noises. It took extensive work by customers to convince Kia of the problem, and eventually found that Hyundai had detected and solved the problem earlier in their twin vehicle. The fix was a bit of a hack involving custom grinding of the bracket and replacement of shaft and or transmission parts.

Personally I don't trust the VIN matching method to confirm or exclude the problem as I had the problem and my vehicle matched the production date and configuration dealer swears their computer says no problem on the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts