Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio 5-speed 2014 F-150 FX4 Supercrew 5.0
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a 2007 Kia Rio 5-speed with 85,000 miles on it and I'm starting to have my first little issue with it. Around the 60,000 mile mark I developed a random tick which seems to match the characteristics of the purge valve. Other than the noise there was no other issues with it. A few weeks ago I filled the car up and I noticed it took a few extra seconds to start. When I got back on the road I noticed it wouldn't rev past 4500 rpm or so. It seemed like it would stumble once you got to that rpm range. Once I rode a few miles and burned off some fuel the car ran great and has until last night. I took the car to get something to eat. When I went to start the car it took about 3 extra seconds to start and had a slightly unstable idle. When I got back on the road the car again wouldn't rev past 4500 rpm or so. As soon as I got home I turned the car off and waited a few seconds and restarted it and it ran perfect. It had a quarter of a tank of gas in it. This morning was around 36F and the car started and ran perfect. I was wondering what the people that have had purge valve issues thought about this? Do these symptoms match what a bad purge valve would cause? I searched but couldn't come up with the exact issues I was having. This has been a great car for me so far and I look foward to many more miles.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you been getting any error codes?The symptoms that you describe could be from several different components.You actually have a purge control solenoid located underdash and a purge valve located near the charcoal cannister.How often do you clean your MAF? It needs to be cleaned every time you chaner the air filter or more often if you have a lot of dust in the air,etc.Make sure you use a MAF cleaner from the auto parts store if you do.And do not touch the 2 elements inside the Maf itself.There are several ares to take a look at before you get into the area of replacing parts needlessly ie crankshaft and camshaft position sensors.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
You might want to replace the spark plugs. They are probably out of spec (gap too large) with the engine having 85k miles on them... CHEAP replacement cost and they can only add improvements in gas mileage also... Use NGK plugs (KIAs like them) and GAP them to .044. Pre gapped plugs are usually "off" some and may have a totally wrong GAP for your car.
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts