Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to help my papa fix his van. It's a 2004 model, and feels like it is in a limp mode. It runs fine, no cel, will accelerate just fine until about 30 mph and that's it. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions for things to check?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,410 Posts
Normally if it truly is in computer induced limp mode, the CEL will be illuminated for something. That being said, how many miles are on it and what maint. has it had being 14 years old now. Also would be good to know what motor size is under the hood.

·
Registered
2004 Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 12x,xxx miles, basic main performed, new plugs, trans fluid, etc. not sure engine size but it's a v6.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Is the condition an engine dying off issue or the trans does not upshift to higher gears? Also have you checked the air filter and housing lately?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
I am trying to help my papa fix his van. It's a 2004 model, and feels like it is in a limp mode. It runs fine, no cel, will accelerate just fine until about 30 mph and that's it. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions for things to check?
Try and describe what it's actually doing, and what is your interpreation of "limp home mode".

It has 12x,xxx miles, basic main performed, new plugs, trans fluid, etc. not sure engine size but it's a v6.
Understand its not your car and you don't have much detail of the service history and actual symptoms, but without that it's virtually impossible for anyone here to offer sound advice, ..... only speculation.

What's the mileage on the fuel filter, what oil and oil filter used, .......... could be a choked fuel filter, fouled Catalytic Converter, ........

Take it to Autozone and see if it has any stored codes.

·
Registered
2004 Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've checked the induction, I've tried removing the exhaust and running it. I've scanned it with a snap on scanner, there are no codes in it. It will accelerate fine up to about 25 mph then it just lays over. You can put your foot to the floor but nothing. It doesn't stumble, misfire, pop etc, just quits pulling. It almost feels like it is running out of fuel like a low fuel pressure issue, but pressure is fine.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,408 Posts
... I've tried removing the exhaust and running it. ....
Did you disconnect before or after the cat? If you disconnected downstream from the cat, that's not going to tell you if the cat itself is plugged or not.

But if you did disconnect before the cat, then get a realtime data stream reader that's capable of reading the TCM. That tool will tell you if the transmission is actually shifting gears (or at least being told to by the TCM). And the data reader will also give you a lot of other potentially helpful information, such as fuel trims, vacuum, fuel pressure, .... And although it's not very likely, it might even display a pending TCM code which would not be read by a standard code reader.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
11,008 Posts
I've checked the induction, I've tried removing the exhaust and running it. I've scanned it with a snap on scanner, there are no codes in it. It will accelerate fine up to about 25 mph then it just lays over. You can put your foot to the floor but nothing. It doesn't stumble, misfire, pop etc, just quits pulling. It almost feels like it is running out of fuel like a low fuel pressure issue, but pressure is fine.
Did you do those checks before creating this thread?

What is the fuel pressure?

How did you determine that the fuel "pressure is fine"?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Good diagnostic approach is a must with today's vehicles, starting with trouble codes. I realize you say there is no CEL illuminated and no codes stored. How long has this van been "down" and not been used, that you are now trying to get running? I see you are in Texas, do you have "critters" that like to "nest" in such places as the air intake and filter box?
Also just because the fuel filter is in the tank with the fuel pump, does NOT mean it can't be plugging up. It may be flowing fuel enough at low demand, but plugging off when trying to go faster. Could also be a weak fuel pump, but without proper diagnostic testing that is just a guess. There are MANY things that can cause the symptoms you are trying to go by a ONE cause fits all type answer. You have spark, some fuel and air at idle. NOW you need to go thru each requirement and see if any of those 3 are where the problem is coming from. AIR system is the easiest to check first. Any cracks or breaks between the air filter and intake can cause problems trying to go higher in RPM's. Once that system is well checked, go on to the fuel system.
Good luck, and don't give up! there are many folks here trying to give you help, but none of us have X-ray eyes to see exactly what is going on with your van you are working on.

·
Registered
2004 Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have disconnected the exhaust before the cats right off the manifolds, monitored fp while driving, left the air box lid loose before the maf as not to cause a bad signal, monitored fuel trims, etc. fuel pressure was approximately 40 lbs holding steady. When in park it will rev just fine, throttle response is good, engine feels strong (doesn't feel lazy)... It acts like it is in limp in mode, very similar to newer cars with dbw setup where it limits the throttle blade to prevent damage when there is a problem. I've also checked the throttle linkage and blade, all is working as it should.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,408 Posts
Since you've eliminated a blocked cat as being the issue, I suggest trying to find a TCM-enabled reader, as I mentioned in post #8 . It's really hard to understand why there's no code being set with this van running the way it is, but one remote possibility is a TCM code that's pending, but not forcing a P0700 and the CEL. Not telling you that's the case for sure, but at this point you need all the information you can get.

Or you can take it to a transmission shop and probably be told it needs a new transmission, because that's what they do. Perhaps it will come to that anyway, but it sounds like you want to be sure before making a decision.

·
Registered
2004 Sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the teams fluid, it does not smell burnt or give any indication there is an issue. Also it shifts great 1-2 and 2-3 before it falls on its face. I'm a Chrysler tech, and this Asian stuff is entirely different in a lot of way. Unfourtinately with it being an older vehicle there isn't much the scanner will tell me to help point me in the right direction. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions though! ??

·
Registered
2005 Sedona EX
23 Posts
Can you do a pressure test by hooking up a pressure gauge to the upstream O2 sensor?
How do you check fuel pressure on these vans? I've been trying to figure out how to do that.
Recently, I had bogging issues when trying to pass someone. Id hit the accelerator and it was very slow to accelerate. What i did notice though is when it hit somewhere around 5000 RPM, the needle on the RPM gauge would suddenly drop down to 2000 and the check engine light would illuminate, but only when it did that. Otherwise the check engine light would remain off. Turned out to be two bad coil packs that would act up only during hard acceleration. Otherwise it would idle and drive fine.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you found out what was the problem because I have the same. Send plese a massige to [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
11,008 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts