Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam a mechanic by no means but yesterday my 98 Kia Sportage began sputtering and shaking. When I finally pulled over it had gotten to the point to where the engine sounded like a lawnmower or even a small motorcycle. When I restarted it and gave it some gas it was backfiring through the engine blowing this rubber cap off emitting a small flame. It wont even turn over now just gives a small grind when you turn the key. A cpl ppl I have spoken to said that it seems like its the fuel pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated and or suggestions as to what it may be. As of right now Iam thinking its the fuel pump.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What do you mean by that it won't turn over? When you hit the key does it sound like the engine is turning over real fast or not at all?

If it is turning over real fast and not starting then you broke the timing belt. You can confirm this by removing the upper screws to the plastic timing belt cover and pulling it away from the engine which will expose the cam gears. If there is no belt going over the top of the cam gears then the belt broke. It won't damage the engine but obviously it won't run without the belt.

Did the check engine light come on just before it shut down? If yes, have the ECM scanned for trouble codes.

I'm not convinced your issue is the fuel pump. It sounds either ignition related or the timing belt gave way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thx for the reply It is turning over real fast but not starting its also letting out a "backfire through the engine" or loud Pow. Not quite as loud as a backfire coming out of a tailpipe but basicaly the same thing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by papa@Jul 29 2005, 06:59 AM
Hey thx for the reply It is turning over real fast but not starting its also letting out a "backfire through the engine" or loud Pow.  Not quite as loud as a backfire coming out of a tailpipe but basicaly the same thing.

I can state with almost 100% certainty that your timing belt has broken or jumped a cog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay iam only able to get the first 3 bolts off of the case. I can pull back the case and I can see the belt when I pull up on the belt it gives me no slack likes its securely on the cogs.

Okay Edited this because I had a lose cable on the battery that was causing a different noise when I tried starting it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay checked the timing belt its fine. Checked the fuel pump its fine. What it ende up being was one of the spark plugs has actually broken. When we took it out it wasent even screwed in and the teeth were stripped. Had to refit it but now it works fine. The coil was actually cracked so I need to get a new one but other than that its running like new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts