Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To summarize much of the Track Performance thread, the 2012 Sportage SX is significantly slower than the 2011 SX, because the programming change. Primarily, the initial start is slowed down. ECU (computer) tuning companies haven't paid attention to Kia, so there's no available fix.

Maybe I've misunderstood since I don't read Hangul. Still, I've found this recent dyno test of a tuned Sportage R T-GDI by PrimeGarage. Here is their claimed dyno report, showing roughly +40hp across the revband, and roughly +15-45NM. Also noting their intake and exhaust is modified. Their cost seems to be 320 to 825$USD, depending on a "ECU plug exchange or purchase seperately ECU settings". They suggest "counselling by phone", and may be willing to help and advise foreign tuners.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
i'm guessing the shown hp is at the wheel and not at the crank?

at the crank that's a little more than 300 hp / 300 ft*lbs. nice

can't really tell about the intake.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Since I'm the opposite of an engineer, I had some trouble understanding their tests. The first problem was their axis labelling, but it is standard Measurement/RPM. Here's some other guesses:

HULP = H Unleaded Petrol = Gasoline
MOD = Modified
Induction = Intake generally
If Induction = MOD (PWR), then it has a pwr.com.au intercooler
If Induction = KNN, then it has K&N (to simplify characters?)
ECU=STD = oops?

I noticed the dyno is 2012, and the video is 2011. They have a "Sportage AWD Turbo GDI ECU Tune Dyno" video as well. One is 170hp -> 210hp. The only Gasoline Direct Injection Turbo is the 2.0L I4. In Korea, Kia sells a 2.0 and 2.0t, 184hp and 261hp respectively. I think you're right cloud9utk. They seem to be testing at the wheel. The video specs must reference power at another RPM from Kia's measurements. This WHP <-> Crankshaft HP guestimator is handy for their numbers.

I've probably picked the wrong dyno (sorry), since hangul auto-translates into pseudo-random words. There's maybe 8 Sportage R dyno tests on their site, and none say ECU=MOD, but there's a couple with no MODs listed gaining ~50hp. They're testing something.

Regardless, they're showing "ECU Tune" for >2011 Sportage. Whatever 3rd.Gen Sportage ECU they're tuning, the SX's ECU shouldn't be any different, aside from the map. They have a forum, and I'd ask them for details or help, but I figure the auto-translated English->Korean would be just as random.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
Their cost seems to be 320 to 825$USD, depending on a "ECU plug exchange or purchase seperately ECU settings". They suggest "counselling by phone", and may be willing to help and advise foreign tuners.
The cost is a little different than you stated. It's an additional 320 for the ECU.

825 for just the setting, +320 MORE for a swappable ecu. Or whatever the exchange rate is.
900,000 won and 350,000won if you want to get the exact price.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
. would appreciate it if you could see a graph of the Dino Gallery Fuel Economy if output increased by as much as sports improve the driving less, driving the general pattern of the effects can be expected., the cost of setting ECU plug exchange ₩ 350,000 ₩ 900,000 purchase separately ECU settings if you wish will be added to the ECU settings to offer I would like to. In addition to counseling by phone for more information seems to be prudent. mapping intercooler upgrade if you get more output can be obtained . > Hi .. > Output As it could be good fuel economy
If it's ~1145$USD by combining the two, that's cool. Exchange the cash, not the original part -- makes more sense, and the cost is in line with tuning in North America. I keep using "seems" and "possibly" while making mistakes because I'm trying to understand quotes like the above. Thanks for parsing that better ocd_person.

edit: I mentioned they're in line with local costs, plus any additional local support. I'm hoping I'm not in the minority to say that adding the power of several dozen herds of horses could be worth <2000$USD. Considering the cost of popular "high performance" modifications which actually reduce performance, it could be fantastic. I know how difficult OCD can be, so I checked and the plural is herds (or a team or string for racing) ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts