Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX AWD, 2013 Kia Soul +
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so has anyone tried this system yet on the 2.4l?

RC-5052AB - K&N Universal Air Filters, Universal Cold Air Intake direct from K&N

I'm interested but am not quite sure if it'll work. If no one else has done it, I'll give it a go and post about it. Also, and I'll prolly catch hell for it, but does anyone know where I can find a snorkel for the sorento? I've seen one for the diesels but not for the gas ones.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
IMO, It may not work right.
I put a K&N filter in my previous 2010 Tucson GLS AWD 2.4L, And my newer 2011 Sportage EX AWD 2.4L, and both vehicles seemed to be more powerful, with better gas mileage, and a throatier intake sound, But, after a few month's use both vehicles began to get unusually sluggish?:confused:

No other changes were made. I began to think, and assume, because these vehicles have no MAF sensor, the computer itself is governing the mixture control, and it can't be adjusted (tampered with!), even though I removed the computers fuse, and reset it before putting in the K&N filter.

After I put the O.E. air filter back in, Immediately I felt the power return, And, each time the exhaust got louder by itself! I take this to mean, that each engine was running "too lean!", and now was getting a complete burn from the fuel. I certainly didn't want to burn out my valves, or my engine, so I left it well enough alone for now.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
It would be very nice to have an intake for the 3.5L...I can only imagine how good it would sound!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
I think with the GDi someone needs to do something with the intake to at the very least magnify the intake sound. Hmm....

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX AWD, 2013 Kia Soul +
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks for the responses. I decided against it as I recently moved to Texas and was having some engine trouble. I'd hate to install the filter and have Kia blame the filter on the issue. I think the only way I would actually do it was if I could combine it with a snorkel that way the tubing has a place to go and pull cooler air from.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Im thinking of building one using the stock air box, changing the stock plastic intake tube to aluminum without the resonator boxes, and then running a velocity stack and a cold air routed opening into the stock box. Create more aggresive sound and keep the fresh air from out side as well as keep the filter OEM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
IMO, It may not work right.
I put a K&N filter in my previous 2010 Tucson GLS AWD 2.4L, And my newer 2011 Sportage EX AWD 2.4L, and both vehicles seemed to be more powerful, with better gas mileage, and a throatier intake sound, But, after a few month's use both vehicles began to get unusually sluggish?:confused:

No other changes were made. I began to think, and assume, because these vehicles have no MAF sensor, the computer itself is governing the mixture control, and it can't be adjusted (tampered with!), even though I removed the computers fuse, and reset it before putting in the K&N filter.

After I put the O.E. air filter back in, Immediately I felt the power return, And, each time the exhaust got louder by itself! I take this to mean, that each engine was running "too lean!", and now was getting a complete burn from the fuel. I certainly didn't want to burn out my valves, or my engine, so I left it well enough alone for now.
My 2011 Sportage LX 2.4 felt the same way after the k&n filter but my sluggishness was felt immediately when accelerating from a stop. I didn't reset the PCM or anything. So I put stock filter back in. Same case with my wife's 2013 Sonata 2.4 GDI with the k&n and put the stock filter back in that one as well!!!

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento 6spd Auto 4cyl
13 Posts
Hello All. My name is Eric and I'm new here. I'm glad I found this forum post. I am unsure of where exactly I read this.. I read that K&N Filter's tend to let more dirt into the engine vs the stock paper filter. When I noticed that you both were complaining of sluggishness, that concept popped into my head.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Hello All. My name is Eric and I'm new here. I'm glad I found this forum post. I am unsure of where exactly I read this.. I read that K&N Filter's tend to let more dirt into the engine vs the stock paper filter. When I noticed that you both were complaining of sluggishness, that concept popped into my head.
Nah, We both got the K&N filter to finally work good. The trick was getting the engine controls to relearn for it. After 2 failed attempts, with removing the ECM fuse, or removing battery terminals, I just decided to switch the filters again, right after using the car (it was fully warmed up) and it finally worked out great!

·
Registered
52 Posts
What mikdee said. But in my case I believe it was the weather changing drastically! I was testing from a stock filter in cool weather to hot humid weather with the k&n! But works perfect if not better now!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a custom cai on it before but had heat soak and did not like the idea of water splashing when it rained out on the open cone filter since the filter appeared that it got shriveled up and became concave looking on the sides of it from the wetness kinda like this )_( That's why I decided to go with a K&N drop in and removed the stock resonators on the stock intake!

·
Registered
52 Posts
How much of a change in sound did you get with the removal of the resonators?
Sound wise minimal. But it does sound little bit more aggressive not much but it is an improvement and is a more direct air flow. It's basically a free mod to do and easy. Just don't expect it to sound like an aftermarket intake with an exposed cone filter. Lol I just plugged the holes with a large rubber cork where the resonators were plugged in.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
The K&N does allow substantially more dirt into the engine than a paper filter. That is a fact. Whether or not you think it's worth the extra 1% hp at wide open throttle in exchange for increased wear and tear on your engine is entirely up to you. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The K&N does allow substantially more dirt into the engine than a paper filter. That is a fact. Whether or not you think it's worth the extra 1% hp at wide open throttle in exchange for increased wear and tear on your engine is entirely up to you. :)
It is so minimal that it wouldn't even effect it! In theory it does but it's not that serious in reality! I assure you it's more than 1% of a HP too! K&N allows more air into the engine since its a high flow filter BUT dirt is heavier than air and will be stopped by the k&n filter before it enters the engine since dirt particals are large than just air! Ever look at a cloud of dirty dust? Eventually the dirt dust cloud travels to the ground do to gravity while just air or clean air is everywhere and doesn't travel to the ground like dirt does because air is light! So it makes in reality no major concern about your engine wearing and tearing over a silly high flow filter! If it does pick up dirt in theory it is so minimal that you should be more concerned on what kind of gasoline you put in your car because it might have contaminated particals that wear and tear your vehicles engine! That's more highly likely! Or even make sure your gas cap is on correctly or it's in good condition because particals can contaminate the gasoline and destroy your engine! Ha ha I can go on forever over minimal petty crap!

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
It is so minimal that it wouldn't even effect it! In theory it does but it's not that serious in reality!
How about we just let science do the talking. Your comments are simply not accurate. Here's the facts using ISO standard testing on a number of different filters including both paper and the K&N.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

"minimal" = an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE + times the amount of dirt passed compared to paper filters.

All for an insignificant amount of power at WOT. But some folks seem to like the increase in noise. *shrug* Why anyone would risk the most expensive component of their car for this is a mystery to me.

Best,

·
Registered
52 Posts
How about we just let science do the talking. Your comments are simply not accurate. Here's the facts using ISO standard testing on a number of different filters including both paper and the K&N.

ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

"minimal" = an ORDER OF MAGNITUDE + times the amount of dirt passed compared to paper filters.

All for an insignificant amount of power at WOT. But some folks seem to like the increase in noise. *shrug* Why anyone would risk the most expensive component of their car for this is a mystery to me.

Best,
Nice find! But was there any evidence of an engine blowing or seizing do to a high flow filter? The way your saying it is that an engine will be destroyed by putting a high flow filter on! Yes I agree it flows more then a stock filter and might allow little more dirt but that's still not going to cease your engine up!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts