1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2013 kia rio 1.4l sedan 6mt not GDI
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all
I hope someone will be able to guess whats wrong
I have a kia rio 2013 sedan 1.4 mt ..not the gdi one.
Total km to date 99450km
Long fuel is between 8.0L to 10.9L in city
Short term fuel ratio can raise to 28.0L on 2nd or 3rd gear @ around 3500rpm
I drive mainly in the city with many stop and go
And during weekend i drive long distance about 50 to 100km on highways
Until 2016 the car was perfect... km per gallon was good i was doing about 8l per 100km mix drive. Even though the air con was on and 4 adult inside.acceleration was good ..around 10l per 100km
But after 2016 the prob started.. our island imported bad fuel with bad octane rate..my car started to stall when i try to accelerate..i had to replace o2 sensor..map sensor..sparkplugs..then after a year..mid 2017..the km per gallon started to drop.. when i accelerate the short term fuel raise to 22.1L perkm @ around 3500rpm.. on 3rd... 10L per km @ 2000prm on 4th
I drive on the same road every day.. before 2016 the short term fuel was 7 to 8L..after 2017 it became 10 to 12L
If i put air con on its worst..the car has sluggish acceleration. Sometimes on a steep slope i have to switch between 3rd and 2nd if i drive below 50kmh.
The difference between km i can drive until next refuel and the actual km i drive is sometime more than 30km.
I do have a personal code scanner..i got once a pcode for lean fuel mixture under heavy load..but after i cleaned the map sensor the error never come back again. I dont have other pcode error..
Im thinking about a bad fuel pump maybe..because ive checked everything that could be checked cant find the problem
When temp is cool that is at night or in the morning the acceleration is good but during the day when temp exceed 28 degrees celcius then i have to press half the pedal to get a good acceleration
Someone can help me?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive bought an apparatus in ebay to check compression but because of corona virus i dont do when ill get it lol.
Exhaust restriction? Like a clogged catalytic converter? I have a straight pipe muffler.
Yeah for sometimes we had very bad fuel with a high percentage of manganese in it..it was a big scandal in mauritius we had more than 300 vehicles engine damage.

·
Registered
Canada 2012 Kia Rio EX hatch, 6 sp auto, 1.6 GDI
9 Posts
Maybe the bad fuel fouled your injectors?

You run a straight pipe? That must be crazy loud. You sure you don't have a cat-back system? Bad octane can even mess with a resonator, which you should have as a minimum, unless you are deaf.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only changed the silencer lol..it is loud but sweet deep sound..the rest of the exhaust system is still stock resonator is still stock. The pattern of the injectors when pulsating is the same for the 4.. but when i decelerate sometimes i can hear pop pop pop sound coming from the exhaust

·
Registered
Canada 2012 Kia Rio EX hatch, 6 sp auto, 1.6 GDI
9 Posts
Definitely check your catalytic converter then. Your car definitely came with one, and it should be the first item in the exhaust flow. If it's plugged, or even damaged, it will affect your driveability by giving incorrect oxygen sensor readings. Your car will constantly have to try to compensate for this condition, and that will wreck your mileage and power delivery.

I used to exhaust mod my cars and I still love the deeper, gutsier sound. That pop pop on overrun sounds really cool, and isn't necessarily doing any damage, but it's still unburned fuel from combustion being burned off in the exhaust, indicating rich combustion. Cars like Mercedes and Porsche do that on purpose with an extra little squirt of fuel, but our Kias were never designed that way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But if the catalytic converter is clogged or damaged..wouldnt the wcm throw a pcode for that?? Theres no fault code..temp of catalytic converter is normal.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
43 Posts
This is what Kia says in the manual about manganese.
Gasoline containing MMT

Some gasoline contains harmful manganese-based fuel additives such as MMT (Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl).

Kia does not recommend the use of gasoline containing MMT.

This type of fuel can reduce vehicle performance and affect your emission control system.

The malfunction indicator lamp on the cluster may come on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thks forteounces.i hope i will not get major engine prob in the coming months.. an engine here costs a lot.. nearly 500 euros minimum

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What can i do then? Theres no mil light no pcode..just the short term fuel trim giving me headache..going as far as 30L/km at 3500rpm... on 4th and 5th gear @ 90km i got 11L /km. I forgot to say ive cheked the temp of the catalytic converter..when driving ...1500 degrees farenheit

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
43 Posts
Joel, I find that on my Kia it never gives a mil light or code. Just recently I had a spark plug pop off, running rough engine dying at stops - yet no code.

You need to get a temp reading before and after the converter. The outlet temp should be higher. If it's not too hard, take it loose and take a drive to see if you get better performance. I've also heard you can use a vacuum gage to diagnose it. I've never had to diagnose these. There are probably better instructions online.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thk you.. i had the same prob once with a sparkplug.. the car was running rough and i found a park plug gap was reduced..dont know how..the sparkplugs are stock..iridum ones.. then i found a crack on 1 boot of sparkplug..and then after probs started continued with fuel contwining manganese..etc .
will try to find a thermometer to check temp before and after..but as statwd by the odb2 sofware...catalyst temo is around 1500 degrees fareinheit
..the car is very cool to drive.. smooth engine..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got this code today while driving up the hill at 80 kmh on 3rd gear ...4000 rpm..the car started to idle roughly whrn i stopped..i had to turn off the engine.wait for 10mins then turn on..the it started to idle normally..could it be the fuel pump??

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ive cleaned the code..it didnt come back since.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi to all
One thing ive noticed is that my map sensor was covered with fresh oil. Is that normal or there is an issue somewhere?
I do have a kia rio 2013 manual 6 speed..
Mileage 100010km
I do oil and filter change every 10000km.
The first time i noticed the oil is when the car was having poor performance in mid july 2019..was around 75000km of mileage..
Ive changed pcv valve in august 2019 thinking it was the culprit but still the map sensor gets covered with oil.performance is decreased when its full of oil so each time a i have to clean it .

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
564 Posts
The only two paths to MAP sensor should be thru air filter (air only) and throttle which can get oil from intake indicating leaky intake valves.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,380 Posts
The only two paths to MAP sensor should be thru air filter (air only) and throttle which can get oil from intake indicating leaky intake valves.
Not familiar with this model, but what about the PCV system?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The map sensor is found inside the intake manifold just below the enrry of the pcvvalve hose inlet. Ive changed the pcv valve 4 months ago.. but still there is oil coming through to the intake manifold..not a huge amount though. I sometimes rev until 4000 rpm when i drivw

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,380 Posts
The map sensor is found inside the intake manifold just below the enrry of the pcvvalve hose inlet. Ive changed the pcv valve 4 months ago.. but still there is oil coming through to the intake manifold..not a huge amount though. I sometimes rev until 4000 rpm when i drivw
Better check the PCV valve.

Ive changed the pcv valve 4 months ago
When posting such queries, at least list what you've done and the results.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts